Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Theme of the Year: Acceptance

I'm reading: The Theme of the Year: AcceptanceTweet this!

In addition to our regular witty fare and exciting links my guest bloggers and I will examine the topic of acceptance throughout the year.

You’ve heard the Serenity Prayer. You probably mocked it when you saw it hanging on the wall of your high school guidance counselor’s office. Or maybe you sighed when you came across it posted on the refrigerator of your friend, the recovering chocoholic.

But it’s been years since high school. And you haven’t seen the chocoholic in ages because she’s No Longer Any Fun, so here’s a refresher:

God, grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

What is it we need to accept? Flawed families? Inane co-workers? Our own inadequacies? There’s got to be a way you can personalize this issue…make it your own for the year as well. (If I sound like Oprah or Dr. Phil it’s purely coincidental. I don’t watch TV.)

Acceptance is not easy; it can be quite difficult and unpleasant. So, to brighten our spirits we’ll also be looking at courage and wisdom, who couldn’t use a bit more of those?!

But my intent is not to spend a year deconstructing the Serenity Prayer; that sounds rather un-fun. And, after all, we should not take ourselves too seriously; it’s said that one loses many laughs by not laughing at oneself.

Lest it get too somber, I will close with a short anecdote about one of my children ;-)

Mr. Smartypants has been contemplating a sending off a letter to none other than President George W. He eagerly composed his thoughtful draft (again, it’s a draft and it was written by a young child; be kind).

I am 7 years old. I wish that instead of collecting more oil for gas you would collect oil to make solar-powered cars and other special cars. In the future we will probably run out of oil then we will have no oil left to power cars and we will not be able to get around too good anymore.

But he’s too scared to send it. He’s concerned that he’ll be seen as insulting the President of our Great Country by suggesting that W’s thinking is a bit off. And he’s worried his name is going to end up on Some List of Bad People. No joke. He said this last October, before the leak about W and co. bypassing the National Security Council's highly secret courts.

Do you have some wisdom to share that might encourage my reluctant activist to speak up? Any thing to give him a bit more courage? Or should he sit back and accept the Way Things Are? Do we have the power to change our government? End the war? And can we finally lose those 10 extra pounds in 2006?

4 comments:

jim mcnelis said...

I would tell him that even if George doesn't follow his advice, maybe - just maybe - the next president will find his letter and do something about it. I know that's what I'll be hoping.

Maureen said...

Hi Kim,

I thought your son's letter was wonderful. I would encourage him that presidents really like to receive letters from children. He likes to hear what's on their minds. He relayed his thoughts and concerns really politely, and that only adults who write the president crazy or threatening letters go on "a bad list." And sometimes, if they have time, presidents write back. (I still have my letter from Lyndon B. Johnson's secretary!)

Since he's interested in alternative fuels, you might encourage him to pursue that with some research. Smart kid.

Best, Maureen O'Grady

Kim Moldofsky said...

Thanks Maureen!

A friend of mine told me that when her son wrote the POTUS he got two baseball-type cards-- one of Mr. President and the other of the First Lady. I think this might provide some incentive too.

January 11, 2006 11:02 PM

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.