Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Word of the Day: Truthiness

I'm reading: Word of the Day: TruthinessTweet this!

I thought DH was making this up, but it's a fact. Truthiness is not only the word of the hormone-colored day (BTW, the hormonometer indicates orange-it's going to be a good week), but apparently, it's the word of the year! I'm jumpin' on the couch about this one.

Truthiness means "truthy, but not facty" acccording to the AP article linked above. Think of it as the quality of stating concepts one wishes or believes to be true, rather than the facts.

I think we should all try to use it at least once this week.

Here goes: at tonight's school board meeting certain members of the board had an air of truthiness when they stated that the revenue gained by the the proposed tax increase would keep the district going for another 7-8 years.

Leave me your examples in the comments section!

3 comments:

jim mcnelis said...

There was another phrase further down the list - I think it was something like "deferred success". It's become a popular euphemism for failure in the UK.

Kim Moldofsky said...

I think I may have heard that from people within the district when the success of last year's tax referendum was deferred. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe how much time you have on your hands. Maybe YOU should fix the computer!