Tuesday, February 28, 2006

When the Student is Ready the Teacher will Appear

I'm reading: When the Student is Ready the Teacher will AppearTweet this!


In my previous post I discussed how a story written and published by a free-spirited, childless friend raised my ire. Initially I was envious that he had time to make up fanciful stories while I was bogged done in the busyness of caring for two young boys. But just hours after reading his story, I woke up in the middle of the night and wrote my own.

Eventually I recognized that my childless friend has responsibilities and commitments like the rest of us. He writes and makes art because he wants to; he makes time for these things. I realized that nobody, certainly not DH, was going to sit me down with a crisp new journal or laptop computer and volunteer to watch the kids so I could write. If I wanted to pursue writing I would have to make it a priority. My writing time might consist of the 15 minutes between completing errands and preschool pickup or those quiet moments after everyone in the house has been tucked in for the night. But if I want to do it, it is up to me to make it happen.

It was such a thrill to see my first piece on line and then later get paid for some of my work. Just this week I have my debut in a glossy magazine. I'm delighted to be a part of the Literary Mama Blog Book Tour. Come back later to read my thought about this fabulous collection of stories, essays and poems.

No comments: