Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Kick-Ass Mamas

I'm reading: Kick-Ass MamasTweet this!

We've made it through International Women's Day and here at Hormone-colored Days it's now Women in Martial Arts Month. The cynics among you might accuse me of simply trying to recycle the contents of my 2004 publication, Reflecting Pool, the zine for women in martial arts. Well, you are right.

We're going to kick things off with Janet Rosen, an aikidoka (student of aikido). Janet had an illustration in the zine as well as two haiku; she even paid me for an ad, bless her soul.

Check out Janet's website; it's a one-woman show full of art, essays and Riot Crone t-shirts (see Angela's poem). Janet is also your go-to gal if you're looking for a fashionable, handmade weapons bag- and really, who isn't? Seriously, what a cool way to protect and carry your sword. Her bags make me wish I had a sword to protect.

Here are her haiku:

Technique unfolding
Wind flies freely cooling all
Damn obi untied

(an obi is the belt worn around the uniform)


Waves of warm water
Ukemi flows like neap tide
Another hot flash

(ukemi is the attacker)

I'm going to raffle off a copy or two of the zine. To enter send me an email at zine@moldofsky.com with your name and address. (Info will only be used for purposes related to this blog.)

No comments: