Sunday, March 19, 2006

Marital Arts

I'm reading: Marital ArtsTweet this!

If one lacks zanshin (awareness) one might accidentally type marital arts instead of martial arts. So why not take a short break from the karate talk to discuss marital arts.

The other day I was perusing the new book shelve at the local library and chose a couple of intriguing titles that happened to fall into the self-help category. The computer had a problem accepting my library card, so I was waiting in the checkout line long enough to rethink some of my selections. I told the librarian that I had changed my mind about the wardrobe advice book put out by the What Not to Wear team. "I think I'm beyond help in this area," I admitted. She smiled and put it aside and started checking out the rest of my stack.

When she got to Dr. Laura Berman's latest book, The Passion Prescription: Ten Weeks to Your Best Sex—Ever! she winked at me at said, "I hope you're not beyond help in this area."

Okay, don’t Frey me. This last part did not actually happen, but it would have been funny. I checked out the book though, and I was thinking of making some similar crack to the sexagenarian librarian, but I'm not sure she would have appreciated the humor. Or maybe I just lacked the nerve.

So now you want to know about Dr. Berman's book? Well, I only had it on a two-week short-term loan, and it's a ten-week program and I'm no longer the high achiever I once was, so much of it went unread. It seemed interesting and informative. Here's my brief advice for a passionate life: send the kids off to…well, just about anywhere and hire a cleaning crew to come while you go out to dinner with your partner. I promise you that the sparks will fly when you return to your clean, child-free home.

Leave me a comment and let me know if it works for you!

No comments: