Thursday, April 20, 2006

May Happening Promises Exciting Geek-on-Geek Action

I'm reading: May Happening Promises Exciting Geek-on-Geek ActionTweet this!

This past weekend I read a movie review in Oprah's magazine. Rather than detailing the upcoming movie Akeelah and the Bee, the writer bemoaned the bounty of "nerd-on-nerd" movies on the bee topic. He criticized spelling bees as nothing more than rote memorization, but in fact, children learn a great deal preparing for such an event. I'm not even talking about the words. I'm talking about learning the value of working toward a goal, the excitement (or fear) of speaking in front of a group, and the challenge of winning or losing a competition. Not every kid is cut out to be a soccer star. And on that note, I don’t recall critics bashing the numerous feel-good sports-themed movies, do you?

Starbucks is one of the movie's key backers. So I called up our local Starbucks and arranged to hold a spelling bee of our own there. I think all participants will get a free kids hot cocoa and I'm hoping they'll pony up some prizes as well.

Saturday, May 6 at the
Skokie Swift Starbucks

No comments: