Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The best part of waking up?

I'm reading: The best part of waking up?Tweet this!

I'm not a morning person. For me, the best part of waking up is morning snuggles with my family, but when the folks who market Folger's Coffee asked if I'd blog about some free samples, I readily agreed. We are all about the swag-send it on!

I appreciated the fact they asked for honesty and not merely a glowing report. "But," some of my more cynical friends asked, "if you give a bad review does that mean they won't ask you to participate in future projects?" Hmmm, let's hope not.

The truth is coffee lovers can be a picky bunch. For example, I like mine topped with whipped cream served a paper Starbucks cup with the corrugated collar. And I'm told that The Starbucks crowd and the Dunkin' Donuts crowd are very loyal to their chosen brand- it's as much about identity as it is about coffee.

So what of the Folgers? We've tried one of the three sample packs thus far (you can get a fee sample here!). And when I say we, I mean I served the Gourmet Folgers Morning Blend at a party and I went around like a busybody asking my guests for feedback. Too strong said one. Too weak said another. *sigh*

The one consistent comment I heard was related to that brand identity thing (and this is definitely a coffee on-the-go kind of crowd often found with a DD or Starbucks cup in hand). Folgers is our parents' coffee (indeed I spied a canister in my mom's fridge the other day). The updated logo and gourmet flavors are not enough to convince my designer coffee-loving Gen X/tail end of Baby Boom crowd that Folger's is the best part of waking up.

**Bonus Feature**

Coffee Dough Recipe
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup used coffee grinds
1/2 cup cold, leftover coffee

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir until blended. Gather the mixture together with your hands. Knead on a floured until have a you smooth dough. Store dough in a plastic bag or margarine tub. (Note we used almost twice as much flour, perhaps because the grinds were quite damp.) I thought the dough had a lovely aroma; my boys did not agree, but enjoyed playing with it nonetheless.

At the risk of sounding like a mom with too much time on her hands, this tan speckled dough is perfect for making fake dinosaur eggs. Take take a small plastic dino figurine, encase it in dough. Form the dough into an egg shape and let it dry for a few days. Let your budding paleontologist chip away at the egg and discover the "fossil" inside.

No comments: