Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A-B-C-D-E-F-G sericulture is not for me! Or is it?

I'm reading: A-B-C-D-E-F-G sericulture is not for me! Or is it?Tweet this!

Enough dabbling in sericulture (raising silkworms for those of you who are too lazy to click), I decided to throw out the remaining cocoons. They clearly housed underachieving duds who couldn't hack metamorphosis. Or maybe I didn't follow the instructions very well and left the cocoons in a spot that was A) too noisy, B) too cold, C) too bright or D) all of the above.

But as I prepared to sweep them off to the compost heap something caught my eye. A moth! I made a moth! It was every bit as exciting as when the first egg hatched. For the record, I am not being sarcastic. A small, joyous celebration ensued.

Another moth hatched within a day. One large (female) and one small (male). Moldofsky and Sons Silkworms, Etc. will soon be open for business. Strike that, I've made arrangements to donate the eggs to suitable homes.

But I am counting my eggs before they're fertilized or laid.

No comments: