Friday, December 15, 2006

Troubling News

I'm reading: Troubling NewsTweet this!

I'm not one to get hyped up over e-mails about child abductions fowarded to me by well-meaning friends. Very few children are randomly kidnapped. And most such incidents have to do with estranged family members. I'm too lazy to lay out the statistics, but go ahead and Google away to see for yourself.

But this chilling story about a case of random sexual abuse is straight out of this morning's Chicago Tribune, so I assume it's legit. It literally and figuratively strikes way too close to home.

According to the paper, an 8 year-old boy was playing video games in a Mt. Prospect Wal-Mart while his mom shopped elsewhere in the store. A "man 'stalked' the boy in the electronics aisle before police believe he 'led [the boy] away to another part of the store and sexually abused him,'" according to a police officer. The boy told his mother and she alerted the store management and they contacted the police.

Granted, I don't step into my local Wal-Mart, but every time we head to Target the boys beg to play the video games. It's always under my watchful eye, but as they get older they need more space and independence. I mean, you can't drag your 9 year-old boy into a women's restroom or locker room. As noted here, I've tried to discuss issues of boundaries and acceptable behavior, but, ah, not always very successfully (click the link).

Back in my childless days I visited a friend with a newborn. I couldn't understand how she could ever let the baby out of her sight. I mean, what if the kid stopped breathing or something? Then I had my own child and I learned to relax, let go and trust (okay, some who know me may argue this point a bit), but it's a scary world out there.

Maybe you do it better than me. Any advice?

1 comment:

Patti said...

I'm walking that same tightrope here, only WalMart's not the only scary place. We have our very own neighborhood RSO. So I even have to supervise bike riding down the sidewalk.

So just good luck teaching them independence, and keep them safe.