Sunday, January 07, 2007

Expired rubbing alcohol inspires

I'm reading: Expired rubbing alcohol inspiresTweet this!

I'm a sucker for expiration dates.

I'm not sure if an unopened bottle of rubbing alcohol can truly expire, but that's what the bottle says. What the heck, it's January; out with the old and in with the new. I didn't want to simply dump the old stuff down the drain, though.

So I called upon my good friend Google to help me find a simple craft idea using rubbing alcohol. Here it is: The Rubbing Alcohol and Sharpie Marker Faux Tie-Dye. (Google never lets me down.)


To make it, stretch the dry t-shirt over the pan/bowl or put aluminum foil or cardboard inside the shirt. Make a series of dots using the Sharpie markers and use an eyedropper or cotton swabs to gently apply the rubbing alcohol over the dots. (I'm told you can also use a spray bottle, but spray bottle full of rubbing alcohol + two energetic little boys seems like a dangerous combo.) As the shirt soaks up the alcohol, the color spreads, creating a tie-dye effect.

Allow the shirt to dry and then iron or put it in the dryer on high for 15 minutes to set the design. (Again, fabric drenched in combustible liquid + intense heat = danger, so let the shirt dry before setting the design in the dryer.) Wash as normal. Do this in a well-ventilated area or outside project to avoid a build-up of fumes from the alcohol.

1 comment:

Betsy and Sal said...

Am I horrible person if I just dump the old stuff down the drain? I figure - if I don't have time to keep my medicine cabinet's contents fresh - I don't have time for an art project! Plus, if I make the tie die shirt - then I just have to throw it out a few months later when I never wear it (smile).
Betsy
www.walkingonair.org