Sunday, September 30, 2007

Michelle Obama sent me some junk mail, but Elizabeth Edwards invited me on a conference call

I'm reading: Michelle Obama sent me some junk mail, but Elizabeth Edwards invited me on a conference callTweet this!

You got a letter from Michelle Obama DH called when I walked into the house last week. I think it's just junk mail. He was right. Michelle Obama turned down a chance to meet with the Chicago Moms Bloggers, but she'll still ask me for campaign funds.

Elizabeth Edwards, however, invited the Silicon Valley Moms Bloggers to meet with her yesterday in San Jose and the Chicago Moms were asked to join in over the phone.

The boys were all excited that I was going to talk to the next president despite my many explanations that I was set to talk with (listen in, really) the potential next first lady.

I wished it could have been more of a conversation. As she was answering the questions there were many times I wanted to use her answer as a jumping off point to explore other issues. For example, when answering a question about encouraging women and minorities to pursue careers in science she talked about her daughter who was accelerated in math and was part of a all too brief special mentoring program- it took a great deal of self-control not to chime and ask how John Edwards plans to fix NCLB.

Speaking of which, I'd love to blog more on the topic, but I've got a paid writing assignment that I need to get back to. Thanks to NCLB, I'm paying might high tuition fees to get my kids an adequate education, so back to work I go.

One more thing, I fully agree with Mammaloves over at DC Metro Moms Blog.

"I still haven't made up my mind who I'm going to vote for, but if you aren't
willing to have a conversation with us Senators Obama, Clinton, Biden, Dodd or
McCain, Mayor Guiliani or Governors Romney and Richardson how will we know that you deserve our vote?"

The soccer moms are not going to sit on the sidelines during this election- we've got blogs now; we have a voice.

4 comments:

Bonggamom said...

You've made a great distinction between the Obama and Edwards campaigns -- I do hope they listen to you!

PunditMom said...

I just keep coming back to the thought that the candidates all acknowledge that women voters are the key to the next election, but don't want to listen to us. Unfortunately, I think there's one reason -- money. If we were all contributing $1,000 a head, I'm sure they'd make the time.

Glennia said...

I had to unsubscribe from Hillary's list because the last e-mail was from John Grisham, a writer I hate, asking me for money to watch the debate with him. Oh, if I get randomly selected from 50 gazillion other camera-ready people giving money to the cause, that is. I wasn't at the meeting, but it meant a lot to me to be invited. Elizabeth Edwards is amazing.

Tracy Russo said...

Hi Kim -

Sorry you couldn't get your follow-ups in. But I can help a little bit. A few weeks ago John talked about how to fix No Child Left Behind at a speech in New Hampshire. This link will take you to the press release and the policy paper.

An excerpt:

"Education is an issue that's very personal for me," said Edwards. "I grew up in a small, rural town and my parents didn't have a lot of money. But I was lucky to have public school teachers who taught me to believe that somebody from a little town in North Carolina could do just about anything if he worked hard and played by the rules."

"Every child deserves to have the same chances I had," Edwards continued. "But today, millions of young people don't get these opportunities. More than a half-century after Brown v. Board of Education, we still have two school systems, separate and unequal. George Bush's No Child Left Behind law is not working, and Washington is simply not doing its part to invest in early childhood education, teachers, or support for struggling schools."


So glad you could join us on the call. Feel free to shoot me any questions you may have!