Friday, October 26, 2007

Attention Gifted Ed Advocates in Illinois

I'm reading: Attention Gifted Ed Advocates in IllinoisTweet this!

I still doubt my kids' ability to get a free and appropriate education (which some state officials tell me ain't gonna happen) at our local public school, but we have started investigating it a bit more closely. We met with the principal, something DH and I both agreed was not as bad as we feared. But the more I reflect on it, the more reality sets in. How could this possibly work? And as I sit here at my keyboard, I realize I'm not prepared to write about this yet. My emotions run quite high on this topic.

But I can say this:
I once read that there are about 150,00 gifted children in my state that have been left behind due to funding cuts. Last year our legislators finally restored funding for gifted ed. Hooray! The five million dollar sin funding translates into about, hmm, $33 dollars per student. Now wonder my boys are at the Gifted Academy. *sigh*

I recently received word that the Illinois State Board of Education is holding budget hearings for the FY'09 budget. The budget hearings are the first in a series of legislative procedures that could ultimately result in increased funding for gifted education. You can make a difference by attending a hearing and speaking on behalf of the educational needs of gifted students in Illinois.

Want to help?
It is really quite simple... Get to the meeting early. Sign in as soon as you arrive. Those addressing the board are called in the order in which they sign-in. Prepare a brief statement ahead of time and bring 15 copies with you to the meeting. Tell a personal or professional story about a gifted child you know and how funding is needed to meet his/her special educational needs. If you have a child/student who could speak to the board, that would be even better.

See full meeting details at the IAGC site. Here are two dates and locations that might be relevant to nearby readers.

Monday, November 5, 2007 6 to 8 p.m. Des Plaines Room L 101, Maine Township High School West, 1766 Wolf Road, Maine Township High School District 207, Des Plaines

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 2 to 4 p.m. Chicago James R. Thompson Center, 9th Floor Conference Room 9-040, 100 W. Randolph St., Chicago

No comments: