Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My shorts are in a bunch again

I'm reading: My shorts are in a bunch againTweet this!

I love libraries. Really I do.

I've even been known to duck into the local joint on trip out of town, just to, um, check my email.

My kids have spent quality time in the children's sections in Park Ridge, Des Plaines, Niles, Skokie, Morton Grove, Northbrook and Glenview. (Hint: Niles is great for little ones, because the young children's section is in a rotunda and leaves only one escape route, which makes the trip so much more relaxing if your tots like to run as much as mine did.)

So here I am in the Des Plaines Library. But right now I'm fuming. I signed on for some Internet time and went to my appointed computer. The noise booming out of my neighbor's ear buds was overwhelming, so I turned and politely asked him to turn down his music.
"It's not bothering anyone. You can't hear it."

"Um, I can hear it and it is bothering me. Can you turn it down please?"


Excuse me?! I see a staff person nearby and go over to explain the situation to him. The staff person, a skinny white guy who appears to be about 16, but is likely just a late bloomer, comes over to my computer. I offer him the chance to sit at the desk to listen to my neighbor's music. Instead, he stands there, sizes up me, sizes up the guy next to me: overweight, dark-skinned*, disheveled guy in his early 20s next who is currently surfing professional fighting websites. Library guy offers me a computer in another location.

But I didn't do anything wrong. I turned to Library Guy, "I'll move, but that really isn't solving the problem of rude patrons. It doesn't reinforce of proper library etiquette."

"That's the detriment of living in society."

Um, maybe he should spend some time perusing a dictionary while he avoids doing his job.

Am I just a PMS shrew? Am I quickly becoming an old fart? (In which case, she is too, even though we were recently jamming with Smash Mouth.) What do you think? What would you have done?

* I would normally write off skin color as an irrelevant detail, but I sensed that Library Guy reacted to it.

Cross-posted at Chicago Moms Blog.

Remember to check out my posts at Momformation.

No comments: