Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Marketing to Mommybloggers Hall of Shame, cell phone edition

I'm reading: Marketing to Mommybloggers Hall of Shame, cell phone editionTweet this!

I've only made a public comment or two in the fury surrounding the recent mommyblogger marketing missteps by Johnson and Johnson's Camp Baby events (I'm leaving for the airport in a few minutes!) and, less forgivable, Disney (though I'm not ready to take my Duckotrate Degree from Disney U. off my office wall--it's too cute).

No time for links just now. If you're not familiar with the controversy Google terms like "Mommy Marketing Madness and Self Made Mom" for CityMama or Queen of Spain or "Parentopia and Disney" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I've been reading here and there and didn't intend to post about any ridiculous misfired marketing efforts until this morning at breakfast when Smartypants asked, "When am I going to get the Firefly Phone?"

Oh, the Firefly phone for tweens that a marketing hack reached out and promised us last fall after our very successful trial of the Kajeet cell phone for kids? The one that I was told would be delivered in October? Oops, better make it November. Make that NEVER.

Hey Firefly, I don't care that your PR firm never came through with the phone, but you've lost one potential lifelong customer in my son. Isn't that a huge goal of marketing to young 'uns--creating lifelong customers? I forgot about the promised phone months ago, but you've made an indelible impression on my ten-year-old.

Score one for Kajeet.

4 comments:

selfmademom said...

at this point, I just hope everyone has a good time this week!

Kim Moldofsky said...

We are having a good time! Wish you were here!

jodi said...

One of our writers was supposed to get one of those phones too, and she's extremely influential. Too bad for them!

Good meeting you, BTW!

Kim Moldofsky said...

It was great meeting you, too!