Monday, May 19, 2008

Just another manic Monday

I'm reading: Just another manic MondayTweet this!

Any day that starts at 2:00 AM just isn't going to be a good one. Read more at MOMformation. To summarize, though: Smartypants, infected toe, trip to doctor delayed by a car with a dead battery, kids are late to school. Very late. The clouds of doom part around 10:30 after a trip to my favorite drive-thru.

Exclusive bonus follow-up: AAA guy shows up, discovers my car battery is not only dead, but dangerously corroded, sells me a new battery and installs it right there. And possibly flirts with me; I'm never good at judging that sort of thing. Years ago, though, when I was just barely pregnant with Pikachu my car died inexplicably in a Walgreen's parking lot, where I had gone to buy a pregnancy test. DH was home with our sleeping toddler, so I called AAA. The cutest guy came and got me started. He was like my knight in shining armor. I was so thankful as I drove off into the sunset. Oh, wait, that was a story about me flirting with the AAA guy.

Are you supposed to tip them?

Anyway, things are looking up now. Tomorrow, I'm headed to the All Candy Expo! I'll conveniently ignore the fact that all of my pants are tight because, OMG, the Candy Expo!

Here's a tasty morsel from last year's misadventures:

Eating my way through the All Candy Expo

The Expo was the equivalent size of nearly 10 football fields. In my first walk down one of the many aisles I tried a chocolate covered crispy cricket. It would have been wise to save something this adventurous until later in the show, but I survived. I did, however, vow to avoid eating insects for the rest of the day.

At the risk of sounding too much like the Very Hungry Caterpillar, I also sampled a dill pickle, chocolate covered sunflower seeds, some upscale nut snacks, and a smoked buffalo steak snack (like jerky, but less chewy). I also snagged a marshmallow crispie to bring home for the boys and a bag of caffeine-enhanced potato chips for DH.

On my trip down aisle two I stopped keeping track of what I sampled or grabbed to take home.

By aisle three, I nibbled the tasty morsels offered to me, but tossed most after a bite or two. By aisle 4 (the equivalent of maybe 2 football fields) I groaned with each glimpse of artificially colored high fructose corn syrupy gummy crap.

Another high-end, imported organic 65% cacao chocolate bar? Stop, I can't stand it! Oh, I can take the whole thing home to try? Oh, okay, sure.

By 1:00 I was spent. I looked like a pack mule with my overstuffed bags of candy. I felt like an overstimulated toddler after her birthday party, crashing down from my sugar high. I wanted a nap so badly I could have cried. But one thing stood between the parking lot and me: The Treasure House.

Loosen your belt a notch and read on.... I vow to have more self-control this year even when faced with handful upon handful of my favorite chocolates.


Carrie said...

How do car batteries know just when to go? Ours actually died the night our baby was born. There I was, kneeling in the passenger seat and bellowing in pain because I was COMPLETE. The temperature was maybe 4, which had something to do with the battery dying, I guess. Thank god my parents were on the scene to babysit the older kid, so they were able to lend us their car.

Kim Moldofsky said...

Wow. That's much worse than missing "sick hour" and a bit of school.

I hope you made it to the hospital!