Thursday, May 08, 2008

Livin' it up at Home Depot

I'm reading: Livin' it up at Home DepotTweet this!

During my recent lawn mower search (stay tuned for details of our ultra-environmentally friendly grass clipper---no, it's not a goat) I noticed an announcement for a free Saturday morning activity.

I dragged the boys out at 9:00, and we were all surprised to find that the event was pretty cool. Each boy built a pencil holder out of precut wooden parts. Still they got to sand, glue and hammer. Real nails. On their own. So it was a good time.
I just sat and watched, and okay, helped put decorative stickers on the wooden "flowers" that go in the holder.
It was an interesting crowd. Moms, dads, boys, girls, tots to tweens. I noticed that many of the dad's tackled this simple project with an enthusiasm and seriousness that I lacked. As long as no fingers were broken and no skin was pierced, I knew I'd call the morning a success.
Pikachu's grandma is going to receive this for Mother's Day. Smartypants is giving his project to a green-thumbed teacher for an end of year gift. (Let's keep this between us, okay?)
Fun + Free. Who could ask for anything more?

No comments: