Sunday, July 27, 2008

Emerging from my black hole

I'm reading: Emerging from my black holeTweet this!

You'd think I woud have added fresh content last week, it being the week after BlogHer and all. But, well, sometimes life gets in the way. And real-life trumps online life.

Monday, I was surrounded by post-BlogHer fog as thick as pea soup, but managed to get up a post at Momformation.

Tuesday I spent a looong morning at Children's Memorial Hospital, where Pikachu was having a radiofrequency ablation of an osteoid osteoma. He's doing fine now, thanks!

Pikachu was home with me all day Wednesday and Thursday which made it difficult to get work done. Granted it's fun work and not too taxing, reading blogs and contacting other bloggers in an attempt to connect them with excellent free review products. But when someone is in your face shouting, "Look. LOOK!" Especially when that someone is your adorable progeny who just had surgery the other day, interruptions are unavoidable.

Oh, and I haven't been sleeping well because of my herniated disc, and the other night when I was really dragging and looking forward to a good night of sleep, there was a midnight parade of little people in and out of my room that lasted for about three hours. It's odd because I only have two kids, but it seemed as though I had about five of them.

So on Friday morning after camp drop-off I got myself a full-caf beverage at Starbucks. Usually I'm a half-caf girl and know I know why. I was practically jumping out of my skin with jitters. I did get a lot of work done, though.

Following my new favorite quote, "Don't grumble. Plug on." I'll share my good news.

I was asked to be the "voice of mombloggers" to a group of brand managers in an upcoming presentation. Ironically, I'll be on a panel with a corporate exec. who's immersed in web2.0 technology and is also a mom with kids the same age as mine. *Note to marketers: moms with brilliant careers are still moms.* I think they realize that on some level, but this group wants to hear from a SAHM whose career is in toilet and has nothing left but her kids and her blogs. I resemble that remark.

I also got an invitation to write on a non-shilling, but "fun voice of something or other amidst the craziness of motherhood" corporate product blog. When I found out just a teensy bit more about the product sponsor of the blog (not the actual company), I wrote back asking if they had confused me with someone else and, holy Zeus, I think they had. Of course, the reply wasn't quite worded like that, so maybe I'm reading into it. I should learn to keep my mouth shut.

That was my week. The kids had an overnight at Grandma's last night and DH and I took the train(!) into the city for a dinner at Andalous. The we walked past the drunken hordes in Wrigleyville, feeling our age. Seriously. I fell asleep on the ride home. And we were on the CTA, people, not the Metra.

Things are looking up for this week, which is good because next week Smartypants is getting his adenoids removed.

3 comments:

kristina said...

Congrats on your recent successes. You are the perfect voice of mommy bloggers.

laughingatchaos said...

I'm so glad Pikachu is ok! Scary stuff. But Children's is a wonderful hospital; I spent many, many hours there as a child and have nothing but fond memories. And a scar. ;)
I didn't know you did work for Leapfrog! I'm considering having the Leapsters surgically removed from the boys' hands, but then the scarring might be enough to halt J's fledgling violin career. LOL!
Don't grumble. Plug on. Good quote. Must remember it over the next several weeks as the end of summer "is it back-to-school YET?" blahs hit. ;)

Cindy Fey said...

Happy to read Pikachu is recovering. Congrats on new exciting endeavors!