Thursday, December 25, 2008

Naked for Chanukah

I'm reading: Naked for ChanukahTweet this!

Not our bodies, our gifts. We're going as green and eco (as in economically friendly) as we can with our gift wrap this year. My friends MJ and Jen at Chicagonista put together a fabulous and inspiring video on green holiday ideas.

They took our boring idea of using newsprint as wrapping paper and took it up a notch by stamping designs on the paper or finding fun holiday-themed graphics in the newspaper.

For years, we've been placing the boys' unwrapped presents in customized, fun reusable, dreidel-shaped felt bags. This year, I bought pillowcases at Marshall's and found a laundry bag at a local charity resale shop and had the boys decorate them for DH, my parents and me. From now on, our gifts will go in these bags, rather than get wrapped.

My boys used Crayola fabric crayons, Tulip fabric spray, DecoFabric pens and fabric Blow-paints (which, sadly, I think are no longer sold), all of which I had on hand.

It's a gift that will benefit mother and Mother Earth for years to come!

7 comments:

TheAngelForever said...

Fabulous idea! We will have to try that next year. This year I have not wrapped any Chanukah gifts for the boys. However, now I may just toss them in a pillow case to at least hand to them. I will search the craft stores for items to make for the future.

Happy naked Chanukah!

Kim Moldofsky said...

I think it's fun to have some mystery associated with the gift. If a gift is too large to fit in the bag, we usually hide it and have the recipient do a hot/cold treasure hunt around the house.

Leeanthro said...

I love the pillowcase idea.

For the gifts that my daughter was giving, we wrapped using a roll of newspaper (not printed) and let her draw designs such as trees, reindeer, and snowmen.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Excellent idea for the gift bags! I think it's great and will try to make one for Sprite next year.
Happy Hanukkah!

Naomi said...

That is a great idea! We'll have to do some pillowcases next year. I think I actually have some king sized ones that we don't use that would work nicely...

Happy Hanukkah!

Amy said...

How awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

What a great idea!! One worth stealing!