Thursday, January 08, 2009

Today I become a woman

I'm reading: Today I become a womanTweet this!

Actually that day is 1.5 years away. Remember that fabulous 2009 horoscope that talked about my travel adventures this year? Well, very soon I'm going to start a weekly blog for TravelingMom with a focus on educational travel. I'm excited about the new gig in part because I get to work with a great new group of women including my former editor from Chicago Parent- Cindy Richards. She's da bomb.

The horoscope, or should I call it a hora-scope also predicted I'd "grab more of life in terms of knowledge, experiences and understanding or religion, politics and philosophy."

Well, tonight I star my class to become a bat mitzvah. Yeah, by traditional standards I'm a few decades late, but in May 2010, I will become a woman.

Let's see. I've had my period for several decades, my virginity is long gone, I've birthed two babies and held a variety of jobs, but in one sense I am not a woman. I was never called to the torah as a bat mitzvah.

While a bar mitzvah has long been an important, nay crucial, rite of passage for Jewish boys, the equivalent ceremony for girls is a more modern phenomenon.

Growing up in a fairly nonobservant Jewish home, my brother was forced to attend Hebrew school. I, however, was given a choice as to whether I wanted to commit to the twice weekly after school classes and Sunday school.

Like any normal third grader who was busy with more exciting activities and classes (horseback riding! gymnastics!)... more


Naomi said...

My parents divorced when I was 10 and let me decide whether I wanted to continue with Hebrew school and Japanese school. Not surprisingly I quit both and have regretted it ever since. I was so close to that Young Judea kibbutz trip…

All kidding aside, congratulations. I have been wondering about getting back into going to temple and instilling some sense of religion into the kids but it's been such a long time.

Kristina said...

Congratulations. Left a comment on other blog.