Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bloggers on Blogging

I'm reading: Bloggers on BloggingTweet this!

Maybe it's because spring is in the air, or maybe it's fallout from discussions at Blissdom, but I've seen a lot of reflections on blogging lately.

Here are a few thoughtful posts that had me shouting, "Amen!"

Amy at Mom Advice on the Five Commandments of Blogging. Great post from a mama who's hit the big time and is thinking carefully not so much about her, ugh, "brand," but about who she is as a person. Her post is refreshing and inspiring.

Christina at A Mommy Story asks What is a Blogger Worth? But her post is not so much about making money blogging as it is a realistic look at what to expect out of blogging. An experienced blogger, she's no snake oil saleswoman, which is what also makes her post refreshingly honest.

And the mama over at Musings of a Housewife reflects on her reasons for blogging and wondering is she hasn't gone astray. While she wants less business and more family, I am thinking of heading in the opposite direction myself.

Although I don't have a visible core of parents commenting on my posts about gifted kids, Google tells me that parents are searching for information and that people stop by each day to read my thoughts.

I will continue to write on the topic, but raising quirky gifted children is not something I can or want to write about on a daily basis. My boys are too old for me to write too personally about them and I don't think it's wise to write publicly about unresolved issues at school. Er, um, not that we have any.

I enjoy writing about trends I observe in the momosphere and seem to get an interesting mix of comments from moms and PR folks when I do, so I will keep up with that.

I think back to BlogHer07, when I was urged to define myself and create my niche, my brand so I could "take my blog to the next level," which apparently meant monetize it. In that sense, I have failed.

But overall, blogging has been a great ride, a huge success that has opened doors I didn't even know I existed. I don't seem fame, fortune or book contracts in my future, but I look forward to where it takes me next.

Edited 2/26 to add:

I don't know why Stefania's great post at City Mama slipped my mind, but it may have something to do with the fact that I read it late at night and couldn't comment for risk of sounding like a buffoon.
And I just learned about two more worthy posts via Twitter.
Check out Mom-101 and Suburban Turmoil, which I'm off to read now.

16 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

The commandments post is wonderful!

Jennifer Perillo said...

Thank for posting such a great round up.

Meagan Francis said...

Loved the posts you linked to. I think it's very important to be realistic about all of this. It's one thing that worries me about one person trying to be a money-making publisher, writer, marketer, editor, etc all at once. The magazine or corporate website model works (WHEN it works) because of the separation of the roles. If I tried to be all five of those things and make a decent living at it by running a blog, I fear that I'd come up very short somewhere.

Meagan Francis said...

PS I also know that not all bloggers think of themselves as writers, but if that's the case I think it's even more important to define what it is you're offering. Because if you don't know, it'll be obvious.

Daisy said...

Great set of links. I keep coming back to my original reasons for blogging: it's therapeutic, it's fun, I enjoy the comraderie with other bloggers. I make virtually nothing, but I get fun "stuff" now and then to review. Separate review blog someday, maybe: if I get enough reviews to make it worthwhile.

Justice Jonesie said...

Very good thoughts on blogging. Thanks for the links!

Kristina said...

I'm going to read all the links. I appreciate it when bloggers such as yourself reflect on what they stand for and what they're doing.

And amen to what Meagan's comments.

Naomi said...

It's exhausting constantly defining and redefining ourselves as women, mothers, bloggers… I'm never quite sure where it will end up.

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Great wrap up on all the state of the blogosphere posts!

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Busy Mom has a great post on her thoughts too.

Michelle Smiles said...

I'm always fascinated to hear how other women think when it comes to this. Thanks for the links.

BTW Blissdom caused me to resolve to remain an undefined, non-niched, unbranded, rambling blogger because it makes me happy and because I'm too lazy to do all of the work these big bloggers do to make cash. Besides, real therapy costs too much and making friends outside the computer would require me to put on pants.

Mary said...

Thanks, Kim, for pointing these out. I read the Mom 101 and Suburban Turmoil posts and have been contemplating posting my own thoughts on the subject. I'd love to hear yours.

stacey @ tree, root, and twig said...

I had no idea when going to the Mom 2.0 Summit that I would come out both more educated and more confused than when I went in. I've been feeling every bit of the "who am I?" quandary that a lot of bloggers are feeling right now. I think I'm getting closer to the answer, and your post (and many of the others you linked to) are helping to give me perspective. Thanks for that!

Jodi said...

Great post Kim! I loved all of the posts you linked to also. Lots to think about!

selfmademom said...

I've been catching up and doing a lot of blog reading on my vacation, and find it interesting that 2 years after I started my little blog everyone's still talking about the same issues. I think we all just need to be comfortable with our own sites and what we want out of them and worry less about what we "should" do. I think there's a place for everyone out there.

Musings of a Housewife said...

Great wrap-up! (And not because you included mine, AHEM.) Heh. :-) But seriously, I really believe that there is room in the blogosphere for everyone, and we each have to decide what we want out of it and how to achieve it and then go for it.

Now I'm off to read the ones I missed.