Sunday, February 01, 2009

Good for me, bad for the economy

I'm reading: Good for me, bad for the economyTweet this!

Although it's great to see Americans thinking more carefully about what they buy and how they spend their money, frugal folks are bad for the overall economy, and therefore bad for our country.

Call me a traitor if you will, but I was thrilled to learn that my local library has a copy of Sandra Tsing Loh's latest book, Mother on Fire, and two(!) copies of Guy Kawasaki's Reality Check. Alas, it will be over a week before those popular books are back on the shelves, but I can wait.

I'm headed out of town for business travel* this week and will keep myself busy with a review copy of Dawn Meehan's lighthearted new book, Because I said so.


*I'm staffing the booth for a family business at a trade show. This is the stand on your feet and smile for eight hours kind of business travel, not the "Hi. I'm Joe, you chauffeur," kind of deal. Yep, I'm keepin' it real. Sigh.

3 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Guy Kawasacki wrote a book? What HASN'T he done?!

Naomi said...

Oh, yikes. Have a blast...

Carrie said...

I'm guesing you're joking, but I'm still gonna counter you there: Being frugal isn't bad for the economy. Having a decent savings rate means you will be able to keep spending and keep making mortgage payments even during interruptions in employment. Frugal people are also likely to invest more, an economic activity that stimulates the economy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails