Sunday, March 29, 2009

I've been canned!

I'm reading: I've been canned!Tweet this!

Last Tuesday I dropped my unemployed husband off for an interview (freelance opportunity, nothing full-time with benefits that would leave me shouting from the rooftops and running to the nearest mall or Target if he got it) and headed out to kill an hour. On my way from my parking spot to a coffee shop I found a lucky penny.

Call me hopelessly naive, but I've never lost my youthful outlook when it comes to finding pennies on the ground: Find a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck.

I picked up the change and, as is my decades old habit, put it in my shoe. That's what you're supposed to do to bring on the good luck.

Anyway, about an hour later I got a call from my editor at BabyCenter's Momformation blog telling me that I was being let go on account of the economy. They dismissed 75% of the probloggers. Me. And her. But not her, which I mean in a good way.

I was thrilled to get the pro-gig at the popular national parenting blog. It took a good deal of discipline and time for me to post five times a week, something I did for over a year. After I'd reached the year mark, though, I felt I was losing my mojo. Plus, my youngest boy aged out of their target group. I started cutting back there and focusing on this blog as well as working on consulting projects...and Twitter.

In January I put myself on Momformation hiatus and have since debated whether to end my relationship with them, jump back in, or just continue in my self-imposed purgatory.

So the call from my editor was in liberating and lucky in that he gave me the answer to the question I'd left lingering. Sort of. If there's something I want to cross-post there without compensation I'm welcome to do so. And that's fine.

I'm all for leaving the door open, not so much because I'm a wimp and can't make a decision to save my life (though some may argue this), but until I find a crystal ball that can predict my future, I'm all for leaving my options open.

My role at Momformation opened up great opportunities. Shout-out to Vero for hooking me up with the site and a hearty thanks to the excellent bloggers and friends I made there!

14 comments:

Nina said...

I'm sorry to read this, but I am glad you have a positive outlook on it. :/

Selfish Mom said...

Well, if it had to end, at least it ended on good terms and not with police and the evening news involved. :-)

Andrea Frazer - Pass the Zoloft said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. But my ego was a bit bruised. Still, pride gets people nowhere, and it's time to use this as an opportunity to pursue other things I had put on the back burner due to constant churning out of posts. (That's where the ego comes in... I never did stop writing my little heart out! Poor me... whine, sigh.. .all done.)

Blue Mama said...

:( I loved reading your stuff on MomFormation...and Andrea's too. I'm sorry you were let go but I'm happy that it frees you up to do other things. I'm glad we met through the blog, best of luck in your future endeavors!!!

Naomi said...

Bigger and better things await for you and your hubby, for sure...

Kristina said...

I am really sad about the BabyCenter layoffs--and that you were let go. I look up to you as a blogger, and I think you know the mommy blogging landscape to its core. I also admire how you write pithy posts with snappy headlines.

I'm glad you have a positive outlook, and I have no doubt you'll be doing something even better in no time at all--whether it's writing/blogging, consulting or PR (or all 3).

laughingatchaos said...

I'm sorry they canned you, but glad that you have such a positive attitude about it! I just hope your hubby got the gig!

jodifur said...

I'm so sorry. I always try to remember that everything happens for a reason.

Sprite's Keeper said...

Oy, sorry about this, even though you seem a little relieved. :-)
Luckily, I've already got you on my browser, so I can keep up with your posts here.

MudslideMama said...

Yours is just about the best attitude and approach I've seen! Getting laid off can really stink - and be scary, these days - and I know a bunch of people who've gotten the axe for budgetary reasons. I'm so glad for you that your sunny disposition has really carried you through this! You're a role model.
:)

See ya on Twitter.

Evenspor said...

BabyCenter is going down fast.

Leighann said...

I've enjoyed reading you and the other moms over at MomFormation.

Not to be cliche, but you know what they say:

When one door closes, another opens.

You are such a force that I am sure you will find some great gigs to take the place.

Kristi said...

Booo :( Well, your outlook is certainly awesome! Although you always have an extremely positive one, cheers to you! You are also already in my reader and I look forward to seeing all your new things that will certainly happen for you.

Emily said...

What a great outlook! I have had such a wonderful time writing with you, and getting to know you on Facebook and Twitter. I will hope/pray/meditate/chant/cast whatever is appropriate that you have all the doors open you need, because you've been awesome to me! Good luck, Kim, keep in touch!