Thursday, April 30, 2009

Giving Thanks

I'm reading: Giving ThanksTweet this!

Last night social media guru and SOBCon founder Liz Strauss was saying nice things about me on Twitter. As was Cody, a guy who's working hard to bring social media to the Heartland (we're talking Hutchinson, Kansas, people).

I tweeted back to them that I was blushing. And Liz replied:


Which reminded me of an exercise I often used to close my team-building programs. During their out-of-the-box team building exercises, group members learned a lot about each other. At the end of our day together, I'd have the participants circle up in their small groups and instructed each person to compliment a fellow team member.

We are often are own worst critics. We downplay our achievements, or maybe we fear coming across and cocky. For many of us, it's hard to accept compliments.

So in this exercise, the recipient of the compliment had to give one of three responses to the praise heaped upon them.

Thank you.

Thank you. I think so, too.

Or, thank you. I'd like to hear that again. (In which case the complimenter obliged.)

It's such a simple exercise, yet was often very challenging. Very powerful.

Next time someone offers me a compliment, I will think back to this and graciously accept.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Dude, you rock!

Kristina said...

I have always had a hard time with compliments. I try to tell myself to just say Thank you. Good advice.