Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Homework with my son

I'm reading: Homework with my sonTweet this!

Later this week my 5th grader's class is hosting "Colonial Days." It's more like Colonial 1.5 hours, but still there are many preparations to be made. I'm not clear if the social studies teacher is slow to leak details or if Smartypants shares the assignments on an as-needed basis, but yesterday, he came home with several requests that need to be filled by Friday. Make that Thursday.

This morning we made what we hope will be look like an aged Colonial diary. We soaked a couple of teabags in hot water and ran the dripping bags over sheets of office paper. (Is it bad I'm saying we?) Ideally, the papers will dry to look about 200 years older than they actually are.

Oh, and then I am told we are to singe the edges of the paper for an even more "authentic" look.

We have three days to assemble an outfit befitting a Colonial architect. He thinks maybe overalls would be appropriate. I think he needs to spend a little more time with Google. And honestly, I don't even know where to get overalls for an 11-year-old boy. They're not exactly in style here in the Chicago burbs.

Any ideas?

edited 5/13 by popular request (sort of) to change the formerly inappropriate post title.

6 comments:

Sprite's Keeper said...

Wow, I hope that title doesn't get you a lot of misguided hits.
Sounds like what you're doing is right, but I do remember soaking the entire sheet of paper in water that had teabags soaking in them. Coffee works too to discolor certain portions of the page and make them look a little more weathered.
Good luck!

RL Julia said...

You do know that teabagging has an entirely other definition - right? That definition isn't something that one usually does with one's son....

That being said, Carhartt and Osh Kosh both make overalls for kids and adults. Of course, I don't know where to actually find a pair. JC Penney's? L.L. Bean? hunting and fishing stores?

As a native of one of the original thirteen colonies, I agree -I don't think any one of George's status would wear overalls. I love this site: http://www.memorialhall.mass.edu/activities/dressup/index.html

stacey @ tree, root, and twig said...

I'm sure there's someplace around suburban Houston that would have boy's overalls, but I sure don't know where! :) I just had to laugh at your use of "we." "We've" done lots of last-minute projects here, too! It's usually accompanied by a lot of MY grumbling.

Meagan Francis said...

"I'm not clear if the social studies teacher is slow to leak details or if Smartypants shares the assignments on an as-needed basis"

Ha! if he's anything like Jacob, it's the former. Guess who found out about his field trip to the museum of science & industry the night before said trip...when his chaperone called to ask if he needed a ride?

Of course, he would need a packed lunch (complete with bottled/canned drink, which we don't keep in the house), and spending cash. And he'd left all the notes at school, so I had no idea about any details. Such as, when he would need to be picked up.

I'm always getting those last-minute "Oh, mom, I have a huge project due tomorrow, can we go to the store and get paper clips, copper wire, baking soda and mucilage?" You know, at 8 PM.

kristina said...

OK, I'm curious ... what was the original title?

Oh, I wish I could help but I am horrible at that kind of stuff. Please post update.

Rich said...

Assuming that i'm way to late and Colonial days is over and done with. For future reference my favorite place to get overalls when i need this is http://www.newyorkworkwear.com

Well i hope he got an A.