Saturday, June 27, 2009

Because I Said So

I'm reading: Because I Said SoTweet this!

Because I said so. BECAUSE I SAID SO! We are only two weeks into summer break and how many times have I uttered (or yelled) that phrase? Urgh.

Our moms said it and we swore we'd never repeat that inane line to our kids, right? We failed. Big time.

Because I Said So is also the name of a fun new book by Dawn Meehan, an admittedly imperfect Chicago area mom (and blogger). A mom of rambunctious children. Six children.

I can't name all six of her kids, but the odd thing is, my boys can. They have taken to Dawn's book of essays like I took to my mom's Erma Bombeck books back in the day. They can name all of Dawn's progeny, and I think they fancy our families meeting up for a picnic one day soon.

This is really a book for moms, but my boys love it. Whether I'm reading it aloud or they read it to themselves, they think Dawn's family adventures are laugh-out-loud funny. I think some of them are, too.

My nine-year-old brought it to school and asked his teacher to read a chapter to his class. His third grade class. Admittedly, it went over like a lead balloon with the kids, but the teacher told me she planned to buy a copy for herself. My boy's not just a fan...he's part of Dawn's marketing team.

This fun book is perfect poolside read. Not that you shouldn't keep your eyes on your kids,
but maybe you can fit in a chapter or two during snacks breaks.

*I received a complimentary review copy of this book from the publisher.*

1 comment:

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

That is so funny that he brought it to his 3rd gr class! What an endorsement. :)