Sunday, June 21, 2009

How to Make Butter: Family Fun on a Budget

I'm reading: How to Make Butter: Family Fun on a BudgetTweet this!

File this under things I learned from my children. I learned how to make butter from my boys and their preschool teacher about six years ago. It's so simple, even a child can do it (as seen in the video). And it's an inexpensive activity that doubles as a science project (see the clip I reference at the end of our video).

And the taste....ZOMG, so fresh and creamy!

I've turned butter-making into a communal task when we have company (and I serve a home-cooked meal, ahem). I pour the cream and ask all my guests to give a few shakes so it's as if everyone has helped create the meal.

Okay, I've done this twice in the last five years, but it's a neat idea, no?

Pair your fresh butter with a loaf of homemade bread and you'll be eating like royalty on a pauper's budget.


Michele@Integrated Mother said...

Your boys are adorable! Thanks for sharing this idea. I think I'll try it with my kids who have been getting a bit stir-crazy during their summer break.

Kim Moldofsky said...

Thanks, Michele! I plan to share more of our time-tested ideas for low cost fun.

Homemade butter is dangerously delicious, so watch out!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

Wow, you know I did that in grade school and it was so much fun! And yeah, yummy. Thanks for this post :)


Heather said...

I cheat and use my magic bullet. Loved this---reminds me of when we made butter in kindergarten!

Mutuelle sante said...

Thank you so much it was a great guide, now to make butter is definitely simple and easy utilizing your tips. Kudos