Wednesday, July 22, 2009

BlogHer SOS: Save Our Soaps

I'm reading: BlogHer SOS: Save Our SoapsTweet this!

UPDATE

BlogHers: bring your unopened soaps and shampoos to the box on the left side of the registration desk in the 4th floor ballroom area. Please ReTweet this message. http://tinyurl.com/m5l2kj

My parents travel quite a bit and my dad always comes home from their trips with loads of tiny bottles of shampoo and extra bars of soap. He tends to be a "saver," so I roll my eyes at this behavior. "The cost of these is built into the hotel fees. I might as well take 'em if I'm paying for it," he says.

{More eye-rolling on my behalf.}

But then I learned that once or twice a year he gathers up his bounty and donates the stash to a local homeless shelter.

{Heart melts.}

That got me thinking about BlogHer and the hundreds of women staying in the hotel and all the little soaps and shampoos that might be taken home because, we'll, you've paid for it. Or maybe the products would be left behind for a future guest. What if we got dozens, nay, hundreds of BlogHers to donate these tiny treasure to help Chicago women?

{Brainstorm! Call Veronica.}

The collection of unopened items will go to Deborah's Place to help women in need.

These small soaps may not mean much to you and, really, your kids will see right through that thinly veiled plan to pretend the little bottles are special "children's souvenirs" from BlogHer, so please donate your unused extras to BlogHer SOS.

Look for collection bins or further instructions at BlogHer.

Thank Veronica for making the connections and Lori Luna and the other BlogHer women for taking this on at 10 PM last Friday night or something like that.

Edited to add:

Thanks for all the comments and tweets. I hope this is big...a new tradition!

And as long as people are stopping by:

How to Have the Best BlogHer Ever

Ten Commandments of BlogHer Success

Why I Won't Talk to You at BlogHer

10 comments:

Daisy said...

Great idea! I've used hotel-sized shampoos & soaps for camping trips, but that's about the only use I have for them. Go SOS, BlogHers!

Allie said...

I am so in what an easy way to help!

Alli Worthington {@alliworthington} said...

Brills! I am so in. Love it! Xoxo

Bonggamom said...

I usually collect these and donate to our local homeless shelter -- the staffers say the recipients are so grateful. But if you're setting collection bins, it'll save me having to take them home! Thanks Kim for taking this wonderful initiative!

Tech Savvy Mama said...

Awesome idea since I'd probably end up leaving them anyways in favor of swag! Will be on the lookout for collection bins!

Smiling Mama said...

What a great idea! I'm not going to BlogHer but do this on a regular basis as well. Hopefully people will continue it not just at BlogHer but throughout the year for a local shelter in their community.

sarah said...

great idea. Aaaaand, I'm all weepy. I'm in!

ScrappinMichele said...

Excellent idea!

Linsey K / Krolik Legal said...

Wonderful! Thanks for organizing.

Russ Nobbs said...

Great name (SOS: Save Our Soaps)for a great concept.
For years I and many of the Rings & Things staff have collected those little soaps and shampoos from our overseas trips and from all the hotels our Bead Tour crew uses. We donate them to Spokane's "Condom Lady," Lynn, who gives them to homeless, prostitutes and needle exchange clients as part of the Spokane County Health Department's outreach program.

In every community there are programs or shelters with clients who would love to have these little amenities.