Saturday, August 22, 2009

Gratitude Challenge: Take Note

I'm reading: Gratitude Challenge: Take NoteTweet this!

The Gratitude Challenge is about stopping, looking, reflecting and appreciating the goodness and beauty that surround us. I've been talking with my boys about this and we're trying to practice it.

It's funny how toddlers and preschoolers, so new to the world, do this naturally. It's impossible to walk from Point A to Point B without discovering an interesting insect or some fascinating find. I miss those days, though admittedly, I get tired just thinking about life with toddlers.

When one of my now big boys pointed out this nest he discovered, I stopped to take note as well.
Especially because the full scene looked like this:

I had dumped the green shredded paper out of my gratitude box and when one of my boys cracked eggs and tossed the shells into the garbage, he accidentally created this nest. We all had a good chuckle over it.

(As I type this, I don't know why I didn't put the shreds into the recycling can. I'm an avid recycler. We sometimes compost the shells or crush them and toss the bits into the garden.)


To Think is to Create said...

How serendipitous! Love it.

Stacey @ Tree, Root, and Twig said...

Cracks me up how you turned a post about gratitude into an apology about what was in your garbage! ;)

I have a great memory of my then 4yo daughter spilling a huge amount of orange juice on my in-laws' kitchen floor. I was embarrassed and a little upset, but noticed that as I was running to fetch a towel, she was just staring serenely at the floor. When I asked her what she was looking at, she said, "the sun!" Sure enough, the juice had fallen so that there was a large round-ish puddle, with the spray shooting out like rays. I love those lessons our children teach us!

2KoP said...

My son and I took a bike ride the other day and found an artist carving a giant tiki along the lakefront. I normally would have driving right past, but we stopped and both asked questions. Now I've turned it into a post that will be on Wee Windy City on Friday. I'm grateful that my children help me see things with fresh eyes (no snark implied).

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Oh this made me laugh! I love it. I LOVE little things like this!