Saturday, September 12, 2009

Gratitude Challenge: Be Grateful For Who You Are

I'm reading: Gratitude Challenge: Be Grateful For Who You AreTweet this!

I never blogged the final week of the challenge. I have, however, been reminding myself throughout about trying to be grateful for what I have rather than fretful about what I don't. It is a challenge. Some days more than others.

Is it possible to see the glass half empty and half full at the same time?

Week three assignments included standing in front of mirror for five minutes and focusing on five things you love about yourself. I don't know about you, but this kind of exercise would be easier relaxing on a hammock with my eyes closed. Looking in the mirror and seeing beyond the growing number of wrinkles, the errant hairs and sagging body parts (just wait til you hit 40, ladies. Oh. My.) can be quite a challenge.

But it's worth doing because once you've done it, you've got a touchstone of sorts. You can remind yourself of those good things each time you look in the mirror.

Performing random acts of kindness was also an assignment. It was more fun and less work than those five minutes in front of the mirror! One of the random acts I performed was...wait, I think you lose karma points when you share the details of those kinds of things.

I've been putting off another assignment, which is to make a video for my blog about all the things that make me so darn lovable. I've failed that one so far, and though I'd like to do it if only serve myself up a slice of life in my early 40s, if I truly approach it thoughtfully and honestly, it's not the kind of thing I'd put on this public blog.

I've rounded the homestretch and I'll be back soon with the final Gratitude Challenge post.

No comments: