Friday, September 04, 2009

Gratitude Challenge: Bodies in Motion

I'm reading: Gratitude Challenge: Bodies in MotionTweet this!

As part of The Gratitude Challenge, I was asked to put my whole self in, as it were. That is, tune into my senses to tap into the joy that surrounds.

As some of you may know, I have rheumatoid arthritis. At this point, I take a few medications each day and I'm fine. I can type, exercise, swing on a trapeze; I can do anything. I'm healthy and fit(ish).

Before I was fully diagnosed and medicated, however, things were bad. It's almost inconceivable to think about now, like a bad dream, but for a while, and I mean months, I was living in the body of an 80-year-old. It hurt to go down the stairs, it took several hours for my body to warm up each day. And when I say warm up, I mean function in a useful manner. The pain was awful, the stiffness, my useless hands and fingers made me cry more than once. (Or should I say more than once a day?)

One of my most humbling and frustrating experiences back then was wrestling with a cereal box, trying to open it and make breakfast for my boys who were 4 and 6 at the time.

The cereal box won.

I couldn't open the brand new box. My fingers were just too stiff.

Let that sink in. Imagine the pain. The frustration. My useless hands. The fear of what I had become and what I would be in the future. My outlook as a 35-year-old was understandably bleak.

But here I am, nimble fingers gliding over my keyboard, thanks to good doctors, good medicines and Costco which fills my prescriptions and low, low prices (beating out my insurance plan by thousands of dollars(!) at one point).

I offer you a little dance of joy in gratitude of a well-functioning body, even though it's my son's and not mine.



Naomi said...

I am knocking on wood that your good health continues far, far into the future.

Lea said...

As someone who has two close family members living with multiple sclerosis, I can understand the value of having a good day (or in your case, many good days) where you can revel in doing the most basic functions in live without pain! Praying for a long lasting recovery.

Bonggamom said...

Oh, the joys of skipping and jumping on the sidewalk! I can't wait to see the video of *you* doing the same thing :)

My husband has Reiter's syndrome, which results in symptoms like rheumatoid arthritis, but he has been managing his symptoms with humira for a couple of years, and we're grateful for every pain-free day!