Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Meanwhile, Back at The Gratitude Challenge: From Crane Wife to Bluebird of Happiness

I'm reading: Meanwhile, Back at The Gratitude Challenge: From Crane Wife to Bluebird of HappinessTweet this!

Between the crush of a family getaway just before school, an important yet deeply disappointing meeting with an administrator of said school, and the fact that DH is closing in a a very long time without a job, I haven't been a model of sunshine or light, let alone gratitude. (Well, except for the trip.) I'm probably not helping things by listening nonstop to the Decemberists' less than chipper CD* (Album? Collection of tunes? What do we call these things now?), The Crane Wife.

But as the vacation haze cleared and I sorted the school supplies into neat piles and then ran out at the last minute to fill in missing items, I found time to discover where I'd hastily stashed the Gratitude Cards prior to our departure for Galena.

There was a directive to send letters to friends on the cheerful personalized note cards the TinyPrints Folks provided for me. So I grabbed the cards and sent out a few notes letting people know I was glad to have them in my life. And really? It lightened my mood. And from what I heard from the recipients, they enjoyed my snail mail.

Yesterday, I saw one of my Tweeps send out a message apropos of nothing, really. Just one of those random things. But I read it and thought of a fun surprise to send her (sort of an impromptu Cluttercast, if you will). Sending off that package felt nice.

It's the opposite of a vicious cycle; a virtuous cycle, if you will. I may not feel like I have a lot of love to share, but I realize that the more I do share it, the more I have to give. There's a parenting lesson, a life lesson, in there, no doubt.

Next up in the Gratitude Challenge: I figure out what day I'm supposed to be on and what day I'm actually on.

*After setting out to search for a link, I learned this "new" album came out in 2006. Gah, I am hopeless when it comes to hipness. Not only did it come out in 2006, but it was voted album of the year by NPR's listeners that same year. My God, I do live in a cave. But at least now I understand the story better. It's still depressing, but a bit less bizarre.

3 comments:

2KoP said...

I like virtuous cycle better even than paying it forward.

Stacey @ Tree, Root, and Twig said...

Well, if sending that package felt nice, I can tell you that receiving it felt even better! Such a nice surprise - thank you! :)

Grateful Nation said...

Hello Kim!

I just read your fantastic blog post. It seems like we share the attitude that “Gratitude is good for you.” Grateful Nation is an online community that gives grateful people the opportunity and resources to connect, give back, and be thankful. Hopefully, one thanks will lead to another, and we’ll create an unending positive cycle of gratitude. Please join the community and share with us your story or why it’s good to be grateful. http://www.gratefulnation.org

Thank you, Vanessa