Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Master of My Domain

I'm reading: The Master of My DomainTweet this!

Make that, domains. I did a little belated holiday shopping for myself. Like any respectable geekgirl, I bought a bunch of domain names. It's not like I've got Big Plans, but I do have big ideas, and should I turn them into plans, I'm set.

A few of my domain purchases were long overdue, like and .coms for my two main blogs. However, my blogspot addresses have so much page rank credibility that I'm concerned migrating to say,, will put me back to zero with the search engines. Can anybody speak to this? No rush, I've got three years to get it figured out without anybody squatting on my blog names.

The other domain names won't lead to my domination of the blogosphere nor, sadly, any get-rich quick (or slow) schemes but they might come in handy.


Drew Kime said...

You can move to a custom domain without losing pagerank, but I'm not sure if it's possible while still hosting on Blogspot.

I just moved my main site from Blogspot to self-hosted Wordpress, and didn't lose any pagerank. I didn't change the domain name, but the link structure was different, which is just as bad as far as search engines are concerned.

What you need is called a "301 redirect". It's a webserver configuration that tells browsers (and search engine spiders) that the page that used to be called "" has permanently moved to "". It takes a bit of tweaking to get exactly right, but it is possible. Blogspot doesn't let you set server directives, so I don't think you can do this while keeping it there.

If you've ever thought about moving to Wordpress (and having just done it, I highly recommend it), I know a guy who does migrations for a really reasonable fixed price. Let me know if you're interested.

Wendy said...

I'm doing the same thing. Already have my new Wordpress mostly set up, just freaked about loosing Google juice. I'm also planning on doing a 301 redirect, but I'm afraid of breaking the internet. ;)

Chief Family Officer said...

You can definitely have a custom domain and still be hosted on Blogspot. Congrats, and have a very Happy New Year!

Drew Kime said...

Yes, you can have a custom domain on Blogspot, but will they do a redirect?