Saturday, January 16, 2010

Lego then, Lego now

I'm reading: Lego then, Lego nowTweet this!

This is the kind of thing a very organized blogger would have posted, say, in November, before her readers squandered their hard-earned money on trendy toys that won't last into the new year. Behold the lasting power of Legos!

Over winter break we busted out some of DH's old Legos. Not only did my mother-in-law save them (to be clear, they were passed off to us as soon as we had a house of our own), but for the most part, the old kits were intact. God willing I have grandchildren, they may one day enjoy the giant bin of Legos bricks and bodies that my children enjoy. Let creativity reign, I say.

At any rate, take a look at a circa 1975 Lego helicopter and the one my son got for Chanukah 2009.

They've come a long way, baby.

What are your favorite timeless toys? Are you saving any of your children's toys for your theoretical grandchildren?


Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

The more elaborate they get, the less I like them. The old chopper, you could take apart and use most of the pieces for something else. The new one, there's only one way to put it together that everything will fit, and it doesn't look like there's a single part on it that could be anything other than exactly what it is.

Legos used to be about building new things, tearing them down and building something else. These new kits are just a do-it-yourself whatever-it-is. They get built once and never disassembled.

Yes, I sound like a cranky old man, and I don't mind it one bit.

TheAngelForever said...

My aunt gave us all of her old LEGOs for the boys. Along with these, I would have to say Fisher Price Little People are timeless. Love the ones that I had from the late 70's and early 80's. We will be saving ours for future generations like my parents did.

Feather said...

i agree with the angel forever...i'm not much of a toy saver, but the fisher price little people sets are my favorite. we have a few stashed away.

Condo Blues said...

Can you even buy a big box of Lego bricks anymore? The only way I know where i can get them is the buy them from the wall o' bricks at the Lego store and that's more expensive than some of the kits!

Even with the grumbling about how Legos now are created to make one thing I still like them and give them as kid gifts.

Tech Savvy Mama said...

My mom has all of the Legos that me and my brother used to play with. I know we probably have the same helicopter in our old school Lego stash and our kids will still enjoy playing with them when they visit the grandparents in CA!