Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dear Jon

I'm reading: Dear JonTweet this!

Dear Jon,

I have to admit I've held an odd fascination with Stephen Colbert ever since my husband introduced me to Strangers with Candy, that bizarre and twisted take on after school TV specials. And Colbert's ironic take on conservative politics held my attention, but during the 2008 election, you became my true late night love (well, after Google, Twitter and, of course, my husband).

In 2008, I finally understood all the great things I'd heard about you and your show. You don't merely offer a snarky take on the political news of the day, you offer a smart one.

I am continually amazed by your interviews. You seem knowledgeable, well prepared and though you typically provide a few laughs during the process, you often ask deep, probing questions that yield thoughtful responses. Good stuff; it's more than I expect from late night TV.



My friend Amy from SelfishMom asked her blog friends to join her on a "Dear Jon" Valentine's letter round-up, knowing that many of her momblogger friends go to bed with Jon each night.


c2cmom said...

Ha ha! Indeed so many of us go to bed with Jon each night! :-) He has a great team with him too.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I hope there's plenty of room in that bed, 'cause I go to bed with Jon most nights too.

My favorite moments are during interviews, when he's got someone plugging their new book about some global political issue. They drop some opinion, and Jon calls them on their assumptions. The look on their faces when they realize he knows as much about the issue as the "real" reporters on the Sunday morning circuit is always priceless.

That and his willingness to say the things that no one else is. The Jim Cramer demolition was fun, but his Crossfire appearance had his most powerful line of all time: "It's hurting America ... Stop, stop, stop, stop hurting America." Pretty much the whole appearance was a lesson in righteous anger.

breadmanorange said...

Speaking of Strangers with Candy, when is Amy Sedaris going to get her own evening fake news show?

Becca~TimeWellSpent said...

Loved this! My husband and I both love Jon Stewart and we are usually in bed, watching, laughing and amazed at his ability to do what you said~interview greatly, be hysterically funny and pull the rug out from under both sides:)