Wednesday, February 17, 2010

How to be a Better Blogger

I'm reading: How to be a Better BloggerTweet this!

These are take-away notes from a blog conference I attended a while back. No, not Blissdom, Blogalicious! Yes, it's office-cleaning week and I'm digging up all sort of old notes!

I don't have a source for these notes, but here goes: how to build a better blog in four easy steps:

  1. Show Up You don't have to write every day, but show up consistently. Three times a week is a reasonable goal.
  2. Add Value There's no point in writing everyday if you're so pressed for material that you wind up posting your grocery list, cut back on your posting schedule.
  3. Engage Users Ask questions, foster dialog instead of merely broadcasting your thoughts.
  4. Add Functionality Make it easy for people to share your posts, dig through your archives and whatnot.Check Spelling
What are your simple blogging tips?

(Yes, Blogalicious is billed as a conference for women of color, but it's open to anyone who enjoys learning from a diverse group of women. It was a fabulous conference in 09!)

7 comments:

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

I think those are great tips. Thanks for that :) I think one other one is, visit. You have to visit - I try and visit other people, follow, etc. And sometimes I spend quite alot of time trying to comment on what they said. Not just one word but really comment and its very time consuming.

I think people miss that this is an important part of their OWN blogging. They really do have to visit back - they really do have to comment. And a comment isnt "cool" or 'interesting' with a link to their own site...

Tracy

Melissa @ So Sweet Stationery said...

I am new to blogging so these tips are very helpful! I have a blog for my stationery website and I am always struggling with what topics to blob about and I need to remember that I can blog about anything! Thanks for sharing.

OLLIE MCKAY'S ~ A Chic Boutique said...

Good tips! Good Blog ~ Best wishes to you and Happy WW to all!

Naomi said...

Simple but true!

Meagan Francis said...

These are great tips. Try as I might, though, I can't seem to sustain more than 1-2 posts a week. I wonder sometimes if it's hurting my traffic, but I only want to post when I have something to say, and since my posts tend to be on the long and wordy side, I like to let them hang out for a while and give people a chance to read, reflect and comment, before moving on to the next. I think posting often was really important back in the day before readers and SO many other competing blogs, but now I wonder if it's not better to give people less to read...and just make sure it's always worth reading.

Kim Moldofsky said...

Meagan, you are absolutely correct. I was catching up at your blog the other day (bad me, no comment left behind) and your posts are rich and thoughtful as well as thought-provoking.

In fact much of my blog reading these days is what I call catch-up---I need a better term. Instead for stalking a blog waiting for the next post, I typically stop by once a week or once every couple of weeks and see what's up.

There are too many blogs out there! I can't keep up with someone who writes long posts every day!

Meowmie said...

I'd add "Return visits if possible". Not always possible if you're already stretched timewise, but hey, it's a nice thing to do and you never know when you'll find a new post that tickles your funnybone, broadens your mind, infuriates you, or makes you sit back for a moment and think.

I try to write several times a week. Sometimes it's darn hard. My days are full with many (boring) things and honestly, would you like to read my to-do lists? You might laugh at some items but you'd be rolling your eyes and sighing at other items. LOL!