Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I'm Just a Mom with a Blog

I'm reading: I'm Just a Mom with a BlogTweet this!

I'm just a mom. With a blog. I'm cool if that makes me a mommyblogger, though I prefer the term momblogger as it's been ages since my boys called me mommy.

I started blogging in 2005. Back then I wrote, I mean really wrote, long posts that I thought might get me "noticed" and jump start a career as a freelance writer. I read and commented on a handful of blogs. Back then, it seemed like there were only a handful of blogs.

It wasn't until I attended BlogHer07 that I really understood blogs as part of a larger conversation, blogs as community. It wasn't until my first BlogHer that I understood the larger impact, the difference we can make when we share our stories out loud online.

Our stories are not always neat, pretty or pleasing, but they are real. At least, the best ones are. That's what I tell these fledgling bloggers, at any rate.

As I got more involved in the larger community and made more connections, I wound up in unexpected place (hello, Club Med?).

Which brings me to this surprising news, the reason I almost fainted at the Housewares Show:

I am writing from a lovely hotel room in downtown Washington, DC. I was brought here by Consumers Union* because tomorrow I will (gulp) be speaking at a press event with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi on the topic of health care reform.

This is what a mommyblogger can do; this is the power of sharing your story out loud, online.

Me, Speaker Pelosi, health care reform for Americans. Oh. My. Even as I see the words appear on my screen, I have a hard time believing this is real and true.

I've got work to finish up tonight and a big, if not surreal, day ahead tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Thanks to Amy and MJ for connecting me with the CU folks back in early 2008.

27 comments:

Jen said...

HOLY HECK! Hon, that's fantastic! Incredible! I'm so happy for you! You're going to be great and I can't wait to hear your recap in a few days. Congrats!

Daisy said...

and... my word verification was "nerses." Poor spelling of a medical profession?

Daisy said...

Fantastic! I wish you good luck and a great audience. If you want to send her to more posts, I've been posting on health insurance reform recently. check last Friday on Compost Happens.

Janis @ Sneak Peek At Me said...

WOW, what an awesome opportunity for ANYONE, let alone a lil' ole momblogger. ;) Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Jennifer James said...

I'm sitting here waiting for dinner at my favorite Meditterranean restaurant and this is such great news to read when I thought I'd only be perusing ordinary tweets.

This is far from ordinary.

This is such wonderful news.

Please tell us how everything goes!

CONGRATS!!!!

Elizabeth @ TexasEbeth said...

Congratulations! from a fledging blogger who joined your MomImpact group.

TheAngelForever said...

You are a MomBlogger hear you roar! Mazel tov on the big news. I can not wait to hear more about everything that you experience in Washington DC. No doubt you will have a Whrrrl story to share.

BTW - my boys are still little and I do not know if they have ever really called me Mommy.

Tech Savvy Mama said...

Totally awesome! So glad you are here and wishing I could see you while you are in town! Gah!

Ilina said...

ROCK ON, Kim! Incredible. I'm so proud of you!

PS
I'll be sad when my sons don't call me Mommy anymore.

Thien-Kim aka Kim said...

I think you're an amazing person and blogger! What a great opportunity!

Stimey said...

Wow, that is fabulous and amazing, and you will do a wonderful job. Rock on, sister. Good luck!!

Maria Melee said...

That's amazing! Congrats, lady. Very cool.

WhyMommy said...

Bring it, Kim. For all of us -- and for the ones who have no voice.

I can't wait to hear how it went -- you are going to ROCK this!

Amy@UWM said...

Good luck, Kim!!!! You'll be fantastic!

Karen said...

This is AMAZING, Kim!! You go, girl - I am SO proud of you - AND inspired!!

kimberly/tippytoes said...

Go get 'em, Kim!

Kristi said...

WOOHOO! Go KIM! Fantastic news!

Naomi said...

Wow, so amazing! Make us proud. Make our voices heard.

jodifur said...

How awesome for you and I'm so glad you are telling this story!

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

That's awesome news. When should we look for you on CSPAN?

Kim Moldofsky said...

Thanks for your support, everyone! I really appreciate the encouragement.

selfmademom said...

Oh my gosh!! Good luck!!

The Crazy Suburban Mom said...

omg - OMG. Thats all I got hon besides - fab :)

Tracy

Justice Fergie said...

WOW! Alright Kim! I couldn't think of a better person to do it. Good luck and do share how things went. Would have loved to have seen you while you are in town, but I know how that goes.

Especially since you're all big time now. Heh heh.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I had a meeting and missed your appearance. Have you got a link to a CSPAN archive somewhere?

Sarahviz said...

Thinking of you. You will ROCK IT!

Cindy Fey said...

Yeah!! You go, Kim! So proud of you.