Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Funding for Gifted Education

I'm reading: Funding for Gifted EducationTweet this!

I've been a little slow on the gifted posts, partly because, well, for a lot of reasons I'm not going to go into right now. But when I came back from Washington, DC after I helped pass health care reform, I reflected on the passage of that landmark legislation and applied it to gifted education and what I realized is that it's basically hopeless. It's an uphill battle that is not going to be won while my kids are in school.

And on a state level? Puh-lease. Our state budget is a mess. A funded gifted mandate is simply not in the cards. I may show up and speak out at another state board of education budget hearing, you know, just for fun, but I see it as an exercise in futility.

That said, as a result of my time in Washington, DC, I am in touch with one of Representative Schakowsky's people and am eager to speak up on reform efforts for No Child Left Behind. I'd love for public schools to be accountable for helping all children achieve annual yearly academic progress.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Our school district is ramping up its gifted education program. It's one of the benefits of being well-funded. They invited parents to attend some planning sessions and I'm going to go to as many as possible. It's important to have a parent's perspective on the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

I completely understand what you are saying -- right now everything is a mess. gifted funding will not get anything more in the way of funding for a very long time. good luck on NCLB reform and congrats on what you've already done!

Related Posts with Thumbnails