Friday, October 08, 2010

House Hunting: That 70s House

I'm reading: House Hunting: That 70s HouseTweet this!

My favorite house so far is That 70s House, so named because it's sort of frozen in time in that decade, which means it could also be called the Money Pit.

The kitchen is so small that you have to step outside of it to change your mind* and it would take some reconstruction just to fit in a dishwasher...and of course we'd want room for a microwave and other updates. We're talking total renovation when all is said and done. $$$

The bathrooms also have an old skool vibe (not to mention a moldy tub surround in one of them), though I kind dug the corkboard wall in one of the bedrooms (we had that, too, way back in the day).

Oh, and the chimney is crumbling.

And the water heater and furnace are approaching the end of their expected lifespans.

Also, the electrical panel needs an update.

And did I mention the asbestos insulation on the pipes? Oy.

And of course it needs some fresh paint and new carpet.

I forgot to mention That 70s House has a one car garage with no inexpensive way to expand the space to hold two cars.

And that's what we've discovered prior to an inspection.

I guess I'm the kind to root for the underdog; I like this house. Well, I like the layout and location. When I think about the cost and aggravation of the repairs need to bring this house to 2010 and beyond, I get dizzy.


RL Julia said...

You can like the underdog all you want, that doesn't mean you have to buy it.

EatPlayLove said...

oh my goodness, you are preaching to the choir. we officially become homeless at the end of the month if we don't find a house asap.

I've seen many houses like you describe although I just wanted to run out of them, not contemplate remodeling them. The first house we were under contract on had an "asbestos spill", steel bands on the foundation, and damage from a backed up sewer pipe. All in the property disclosure.

Kim Moldofsky said...

@ RL Julia Oh, we are still looking. But this one is still tops on my list.

You'll see DH's "favorite" next week (even worse than this, but with more potential).

@EatPlayLove Oh my! Good luck!

Keep up with our house-hunting antics at

Shari said...

We bought our house 12 years ago. Last winter we finally finished redoing the last room. It officially looks like us now. Good luck with your decision!

Drew @ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

We had the cork on the walls in my bedroom growing up. So that was a trend? I never really thought about it at the time, but if I had, I would have thought my parents came up with it.

For the asbestos, do your local building codes allow wrapping? There's a process where they can seal and wrap them (with fiberglass, I think). Generally safer than trying to remove it.