Sunday, November 21, 2010

House Hunting with Property Sluts: Is a hoarder house a great deal at any price?

I'm reading: House Hunting with Property Sluts: Is a hoarder house a great deal at any price?Tweet this!

I was planning on taking the weekend off from house hunting because I headed to Grand Rapids, Michigan for a Blogger Familiarization (FAM) trip. En route, I got a call from my Realtor. Apparently, he got a call from the listing agent of the hoarder house. It turns out the sellers dropped the price (again) and are very motivated to sell.

But is a hoarder house a deal at any price?

I was hanging out with some of my blog buddies, so I decided to ask for their opinions. See what

  • Beth Rosen from The Midlife Wife
  • Duong Sheahan Live Healthier and Happier
  • Meagan Francis of The Happiest Mom and
  • Stephanie Precourt of Adventures in Babywearing have to say about buying a hoarder house.

  • And let me know yours in the comments! Should we pursue this house?

    Yes, this is a bit longer than normal. You expect any less from my friends?

    Property Sluts Episode 1 Intro

    Property Sluts Episode 2 In Bed with Nate Berkus


    ChaosRu said...

    Inspect all windows and window frames, those are likely to have been neglected. Assume all floors are ruined as well as some walls if the junk was built up around the exterior walls or walls adjoining a water wall and they mildewed/moldy. All appliances are likely ruined (or old if they could not possibly replace them through all that junk). Assume some plumbing leaks were completely ignored, so vanities and cabinets are rotten, shower enclosures need to be gutted and replaced and assume that you will need an exterminator. It needs to be inspected like crazy.

    carla said...


    and yes.
    the child is awake so I covered her ears at the word SLUTS :) and let her watch the rest with me.

    that's the way this misfitmamma rolls.

    Adventures In Babywearing said...

    Oh how fun, Kim! I can't wait to see what you decide!

    And OMG what Beth said about the flat cat.


    Tracey - Just Another Mommy Blog said...

    Hmmmmm... It's definitely a house to tread lightly and slowly with. Investigate EVERY question. And get a GREAT inspection done. GO WITH The inspector!! Don't pass on the termite or bug inspection and consider speaking to a lawyer who specializes in real estate...

    Cindy Fey said...

    HELL to the NO. When the former owners can't even take care of themselves, there is no way they put ANY necessary effort or maintenance into the house itself. A neglected house is a mortally wounded house.

    Help! Mama Remote... said...

    Property Sluts!!!Great idea. Hoarder house? I'm scared! Make sure there's not a lot of neglect. I'm sure there's serious neglect. Flat cat!!!Oh MY!