Friday, December 17, 2010

Commit a Minute to Safety, Kindness and a Plea

I'm reading: Commit a Minute to Safety, Kindness and a PleaTweet this!

Late last December I wrote about the danger of moments of inattention. This year, the folks at Underwriters Laboratories (UL), a leading safety organization, asked me to think about it in a different light thanks to their Commit a Minute to Safety campaign.

Apparently, our busy-ness and moments of inattention (Did I really leave the kitchen with more than 50 tiny Chanukah candles burning on the island to check e-mail?) don't go unpunished. According to UL, studies show that 230 people visit the emergency room each day in November and December due to holiday-related injuries.

I'm guessing this could mean winding up in the ER due to anything from slicing a finger when you mean to be slicing a holiday turkey/ham/latke {Did I say finger? My dad almost cut off his hand a couple of weeks ago due to a slippery encounter with an electric knife (on a turkey, not a latke)} to slipping from a ladder while hanging holiday lights (I know someone whose husband died from this kind of fall, yo).

We all want a healthy new year, right?

UL has lots of ideas to help you and your family Commit a Minute to safety with opportunities to review holiday safety tips, send e-cards or print out holiday coloring pages for your child.

In recent weeks, I've been playing the role of Santa's helper thanks to Yahoo's Ripples of Kindness Program. I'll write a separate post on that, but consciously performing random acts of along with my fellow Yahoo Motherboard peeps has been eye-opening and rewarding.

Which brings me to the next item. UL has not only sponsored this post, but a handful of similar ones with other moms bloggers. The organization has pledged a $250 gift card to the blogger with the most interaction in her comments; the blogger can give the card to a commenter or whatever. Here's my whatever:

Share your holiday safety tips in the comments and together we can win that $250 gift card for
Team WhyMommy. Team WhyMommy is the IRL support team for cancer fighter and survivor Susan "@WhyMommy" Niebur of the Toddler Planet Blog.

I had intended to make a donation to a cancer research organization in memory of Elizabeth Edwards, but then I read Susan's recent post and health update. I realized it made more sense to donate in honor a friend who is in the fight of, and for, her life than in memory of someone I didn't know.

Please join me by leaving a comment with a holiday safety tip below. If we win the gift card, I will have UL send it to the awesome and hilarious Stimey, Team WhyMommy's head cheerleader, to use as she as Susan see fit. Maybe the money will provide a soothing massage or two for Susan or a few meals for her family. Perhaps it will be donated to research IBC and other fast moving cancers. That's their call.

Also, if we win, I will donate my post $100 sponsor fee to IBC research.

Please take a moment to comment sharing how you will Commit a Minute to Safety. You may comment once per day through the end of TBA)

For extra entries to help win the $250 gift card for Team WhyMommy:

Tweet something like "Join me in committing a minute to @SafetyAtHome in support of #TeamWhyMommy by commenting at http://tinyurl.com/25azc39"

or share on Facebook, but you must come back to leave another comment and let me know about Tweets and FB mentions.

Follow @SafetyAtHome on Twitter and tell them @KimMoldofsky sent you.

Join the Army of Women to help cancer research (it's free and they don't ask for money; just volunteers for research studies) and come back to comment that you did.

Best wishes for a safe, happy and healthy new year!

39 comments:

Neena said...

What a great idea!!

Tech Savvy Mama said...

What a fabulous idea and thanks for being so wonderfully generous by not only offering your support through possible winnings but just by posting to show you are thinking of WhyMommy.

Niksmom said...

This is awesome! I think about those agonizing moments in which life can change in an instant EVERY time my 7yr old son with autsim climbs the safety gate into the kitchen with a pot on the stove or a syringe of his meds within easy reach. *shudder*

Niksmom said...

Oh, and I'm tweeting this, too! @bubblygrl

Julie said...

This is going to sound funny, but a holiday safety tip I learned the almost hard way: Keep your kids close to the car in parking lots. Holiday spirit doesn't run free in busy parking lots when people are in a rush and its slippery and wet out. Keep the kids next to you and an eye on the other cars.

linda said...

unplug the trees at night (do as I say not as i do OY)

Donna said...

UL does such a good job, I know I take the electrical safety for granted. Nice to be reminded that some caution is necessary. Great post, and a good cause, Kim.

Meagan @ The Happiest Mom said...

As a writer I often live inside my own head...too much. I've wandered away from burners left on high, left bathtubs running (although not with children in them!) and just in general tend to be a little flaky. So one thing I try to do "check in" with myself and my surroundings every few minutes. I take lots of mini-breaks to ask myself--out loud sometimes!-- "Where is everyone?" (including older children) "What are they doing?" "What's going on in the kitchen?" "how about the bathrooms?"

I find that just taking a moment to bring my awareness back down to earth helps me keep from making really horrible and unsafe mistakes.

Meagan @ The Happiest Mom said...

tweeted it!

Joeymom said...

We have a Christmas Fire Drill. The house is a slightly different set-up in the holidays, with some rooms cut off that normally are run-through. Although we have planned our paths all year round with this in mind, having a door you think is going to be open, closed when you are in an emergency, could be disorienting. Christmas Fire Drill: have one!

beccarama.com said...

For us safety this holiday meant teaching our girls not to lean over the Menorah! Long hair is not holiday safe hair for sure.
On a more serious note - this is a great post and fabulous idea. I hope they give everyone who participates the money to donate to their charity of their choice. You shouldn't have to compete for charitable dollars!

Ilina said...

Turn off tree lights and keep the tree watered. A dry tree is more of a fire hazard.

Ilina said...

Just tweeted and put on Facebook too!

Kim Tracy Prince said...

Here's my tip: don't take those electrical outlet covers for granted, or think that your kid won't try to shove stuff in there. My 3.5 year old will STILL stick his fingers in them.

Bonggamom said...

Holiday safety tip: never leave those holiday candles burning unattended!

You're the best, Kim -- I'm off to tweet and let everyone know of your generosity.

bonggamom

Bonggamom said...

Tweet:

http://twitter.com/bonggamom/status/15867022613159936

Kristina said...

It's true the holiday stress drives everyone clumsy. And ER nurses have seen it all.

Here's to safe holidays! Great post!

Janine (@twincident) said...

Love this idea. It only take a minute to comment here so I hope we can encourage others and I hope you win!

It also only takes a minute to unplug the toaster before I leave the house - just one thing I do for safety.

Stimey said...

I make sure to keep my Christmas tree watered, so that it doesn't dry out and turn into kindling. I also make sure to turn it off when I leave the house. Plus, I always buy lights that say UL on them, because I know they're safe!

Stimey said...

Oooh, also, off to RT this right now!

JustMom420zaks said...

Um, always water your tree every day. Dry trees are fire hazards.
I hope you guys win!

HereWeGoAJen said...

My holiday safety tip is to watch out for those knives when opening the packaging! My husband sliced open his wrist with one once and had to have stitches.

Shari said...

I joined Army of Women a while ago. It's so important for women to participate in research studies -- even if that just means filling our a health survey once a year.. For years all the medical research was done on men and the researchers "adapted" it apply to women. Now that more studies are beign done for women and by/on women, we have to step up and volunteer.

ScrappinMichele said...

What a great idea donating to Team WhyMommy! Happy Holidays!

Passport Family said...

Carry extra blankets in the car! Don't leave home without checking to see that your cell is charged up to and well.
At home, keep the heat low when you are out of the home and keep that tree well and watered! Always remember to switch off the tree lights!

AngieKeenan said...

I am using battery powered LED holiday candles this year. Great post!

Elaine said...

You rock! My tip is - clear your sidewalks of snow as soon as you can. It's hard for all people - but especially those with balance issues - to traipse around on sidewalks that aren't clean.

Jodi said...

Such a good reminder during the holiday season. I like to take a minute to walk around the house at night to make sure everything is turned off and the doors are locked.

Jodi said...

Tweet! - http://twitter.com/#!/JodiGrundig/status/16098567613579264

JessicaAPISS said...

Super idea and a perfect cause to choose!

Cooking with 5 Kids said...

always walk through your house before going to bed, unplug unnecessary items, make sure all ovens, stoves are off.

Maggie McGary said...

This time of year is so busy and it's easy to get caught up in rushing--especially when you're trying to get to and from different activities, stores, pick-ups, etc. I say it's a good time to remember to drive safely--not distracted by cell phones or texting, not speeding or crashing lights and definitely not drinking and driving. This week marks 7 years since a close friend lost her 5 year old daughter because of a speeding, distracted driver...so this tip is in honor of her.

Megryansmom said...

This is a great idea and very generous of you. My holiday safety tip is not just for the holidays...please don't drink and drive.

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

Great idea, Kim. Thank you. My safety tip is to not let your 10 month old eat the ribbons off the presents under the tree.

Not that I have ANY experience with that, mind you.

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

Shared on Facebook.

Marty, a.k.a. canape said...

Also tweeted it.

Ashley said...

Great idea! My safety tip: Use a timer for your Christmas lights when you leave town. I always use them from the very beginning of the season, too, so that the pattern will be the same when we're home and when we're not. Burglaries always spike around the holidays.

Christine, PleasureMechanics.com said...

The best tool of attention I know is the breath - take long deep breaths anytime you feel stressed or not present during the holidays - it will zip you back into attention so you can protect your loved ones with your alertness and presence.

La Jolla Mom said...

Love this! I also agree with turning off the lights and also consider LEDs. They don't get hot on the tree.

Tweeting!