Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gifted Kids: It Gets Better

I'm reading: Gifted Kids: It Gets BetterTweet this!

Chances are you've seen on of the "It gets better" videos. After the suicides of several gay and lesbian teens, relationship and sex columnist Dan Savage posted a YouTube video to send a message to GLBT teens that despite a tumultuous, frustrating and perhaps closeted adolescence, life gets better.

Dan's video launched a movement, the It Gets Better Project.

From the site:

Growing up isn’t easy. Many young people face daily tormenting and bullying, leading them to feel like they have nowhere to turn. This is especially true for LGBT kids and teens, who often hide their sexuality for fear of bullying.

I've long wondered, "What if you substituted 'gifted' for "LGBT' and 'giftedness' for 'sexuality'?"

It could happen, right? I certainly know gifted kids who get taunted for their quirks and smarts, gifted kids who shut down or rebel rather than apply themselves for fear of being taunted or socially ostracized.

The Its Gets Better videos spurred me on to start the "When Geeks Grow Up" series (which admittedly has been eclipsed, for now, by my not-ready-for HGTV house hunting series). In WGGU, I highlight the now cool career of someone who grew up geek.

But I digress.

I'm not the only one to argue that adolescence is one big hormonal, physical, sexual and psychological mess for, oh, pretty much everyone. Why the big deal for GLBT kids?

So when I caught Dan Savage on the Colbert Report a while back, this grabbed me. Colbert asks that same question. Savage responds by, well, watch the clip to see and let me know what you think.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Dan Savage
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Dan says it perfectly. No matter how much we might be bullied for being a geek, we usually get to go home to a mom & dad who love us for our geekiness. We don't have to go to a house of worship who tells us it's unnatural to be smart. We don't have laws that discriminate against nerds and prohibit geek-geek marriages.

Oh the bullying and taunting can get bad, I know. I had it happen not just because I was smart, but because I was working class, Latina and smart. "Who do you think you are dreaming that big missy?" "Sell out!" But never did I feel that half this country was against me.

Thanks for the sharing the video.

Kim Moldofsky said...

Thank goodness there are not laws that prohibit geek:geek marriages!

Not all parents value having geeky or nerdy kids and not all religions welcome people who ask too many questions rather than toe the party line, but I agree with you. Chances are, an HG child has someone, or possibly many, who support them through the difficult years and that might be hard or impossible to come by for many GLBT youths.

Related Posts with Thumbnails