Wednesday, April 24, 2013

When It Rains in Chicago, Overhead Sewers Provide Flood Control

I'm reading: When It Rains in Chicago, Overhead Sewers Provide Flood ControlTweet this!

Overhead sewers are not actually overhead, but they do provide good flood control to prevent (eeeeeewwwww) sewer system your house. As my husband challenged me when I questioned the significant installation expense of this for our new-to-us house, "Do you want to clean up our neighbor's poop from our basement during a big storm?"

No sir, I do not.

For your viewing enjoyment, I present the skinny on overhead sewers. The installation was a messy, messy process, but it does not involve poop, just digging up most of your front lawn to a depth of 5-8 feet. Maybe 10. It's been a while. Oh, ans then you have to deal with a big mess inside as well as 2 metric tons of dirt and clay that don't fit back into the ground.

If you'd like to read more about our experience with the installation of overhead sewer flood control (it's not a DIY job!), read my thought at the now-defunct Reluctant Renovator.

Fun Fact: Nearly two hundred people have watched this video since last week's deluge of rain.


JDB2012 said...

I have an overhead sewer and a backup sump. I still had 3 feet of poop in my basement. Just shelled out $7500 for a flood control system. Combined sewers should be criminal.

Kim Moldofsky said...

Yikes! I woke up with a start around 4:00 AM the night of the big storm having had a vivid dream that entailed what you just described. Sorry to hear about your mess. :(

Anonymous said...

We are getting overhead sewers in our unfinished basement. But my question is, when we finish our basement, how do we frame the walls now that we have a horizontal pipe running on all of the walls?

Kim Moldofsky said...

Anonymous- We have no plans to finish the area with the pipes, so I don't know. I think you just take the pipes into consider, allowing space for them when you build out walls.

The downside of that that you can no longer visually inspect them, though.