Saturday, April 19, 2014

This Cookbook is for the Dogs, Literally

I'm reading: This Cookbook is for the Dogs, LiterallyTweet this!

Back in the day I'd roll my eyes and people who dote too much on their dogs and do silly things like buy them Halloween costumes. And then I bought my pup one two. So when I got an offer to review Dog-Gone Good Cuisine: More Healthy, Fast and Easy Recipes for You and Your Pooch I was pretty geeked out about it. How could I say no?

At first we didn't feed the dog any people food, but then we realized he liked fresh peas from our garden and used them as training treats last summer. Eventually we realized he's a true omnivore. He loves his veggies and in a complementary way to our diet preference. For example, he enjoys things like thick broccoli stalks-items that we tend to put in the compost pile. And for better or worse, he's gotten all too used to having "mix-ins" with his puppy food. It might be a spoonful of plain yogurt, a handful of diced carrots or bits of a hard-boiled egg, but he likes his real food.

So this cookbook seemed perfect. Why not make one dish for the whole family?

The book provides many people-friendly recipes and a handful just for dogs. It contains advice on what foods to share and what to avoid.

Dogs should not have onions or garlic, so some of the dishes are a little bland, but still decent. I made a tomato-lentil soup that everybody, including Tesla, lapped up. Other recipes include cream of pumpkin soup, spinach kale lasagna and pears with raspberry sauce. This cookbook is a fun addition to my collection!

No comments: