Thursday, May 08, 2014

Shark Rocket Vacuum

I'm reading: Shark Rocket VacuumTweet this!

Shark Rocket Vacuum
I enthusiastically received a Shark Rocket Vacuum for review, but I've lagged on reviewing because I'm somewhat ambivalent about it. Here's the good, the bad, and my lazy.

I received this months ago and I use it often, like 3 or more times a week (thanks, dog). Yet, I don't love it.

The Shark Rocket comes with a looooong 32-foot cord, which means I can move around quite a bit without have to stop and unplug it in one spot and plug it in elsewhere. Yeah for convenience.

The Rocket collects dirt in a small cup. I have an odd fascination with dirt cups. When I see what gathers in the cup, I'm more motivated to vacuum regularly. So the Rocket gets a plus for the cup. The Rocket can deep clean carpets and can also handle area rugs. The amount of dog hair I suck up from our area rug and a couple of doormats is nothing short of astonishing.

The Rocket can be used on bare floors, too. I do use the bottom attachment "brushroll" (as pictured) on our durable ceramic kitchen floor, but not on the wood floors that cover most of our house.

The Rocket has a duster attachment "(a Dust Away) for wood floors, but this leads to one of my complaints about the vacuum, it has such a minimalist profile, there's no room for "on board" tools. My Rocket came with a cleaning wand/crevice tool as well as an upholstery tool, said duster attachment, and big black bag in which to store the tools. That system doesn't work well for me. In fact, I received the vacuum months ago and I'm not even sure where the bag of extra goodies is right now.

My vacuum also came with a wall mount that, in theory, makes it easy to store the sleek Rocket. But we just didn't have the right place to hang it. As a result, it tends to sit in a corner of my living room or my office. This is both good and bad. Bad as in it clutters up the space. Good as in, hey, the vacuum is out, I might as well use it.

I noted that I don't like to use the rollerbrush on our wood floors, so what I tend to do is use the crevice tool, but unlike the woman in this photo, I tend to use it on the floor, going around the edges of the room where much of the dog hair and such tends to gather. I also use a broom to sweep larger sections of the floor and suction up the resulting piles of gunk.

I also find the crevice tool very handy on our main staircase (also wood). The Rocket is lightweight and convenient (e.g. never put away), so I use the vacuum quite a bit.

True to its promise it was easy to assemble and it's easy to swap out heads or tools. It's a breeze to empty the dirt cup, however, I'm admittedly a slacker when it comes to cleaning the filters that come with the unit--they are supposed to be hand-washed monthly. That's another downside for me.

The Rocket has several add-ons available for purchase:

  • Home and carpet detail kit for keyboards, car vents and other tiny spaces
  • Under apliance wand
  • Motorized hand tool for pillows, carpets and upholstery

The Shark Rocket sells for $180 and can be purchased directly from Shark or through a variety of national retailers.

No comments: