Monday, January 12, 2015

Illinois Underage Drinking Social Host Laws 2015

I'm reading: Illinois Underage Drinking Social Host Laws 2015Tweet this!

Happy new year! If you follow me on social media, you've likely seen that I started writing for The Alcohol Talk. I'm one of a handful of writers sharing information, advice, and conversation starters for parents on having the alcohol talk. That is, talking to their tween and teen children about the dangers of underage drinking. One of my December posts focused on social host laws. These laws dictate penalties for serving alcohol to underage children in the home.

As I researched my piece, I learned about laws in different states. For example, Illinois laws are pretty strict compared to those in Texas.

Okay that's not such a surprise, but I learned that starting this month, January 2015, the Illinois social host laws became even broader. In the past, parents and guardians who allowed underage drinking in their house faced liability issues. Now, quoting from an AP article,
[They] can be fined up to $2,000 if they allow those under 21 to drink in vehicles, trailers, campers or boats under their ownership or control. And if a death occurs as a result, parents or guardians can be charged with a felony.
#TheMoreYouKnow  

No comments: