Monday, August 31, 2015

The Best Worst PR Mistake

I'm reading: The Best Worst PR MistakeTweet this!

PR mistakes when dealing with bloggers
My inbox is filled with press releases. It comes with the blogging territory. You get on a PR list targeting parents of kindergarteners because that's the age of your youngest when you start blogging, and ten years later you are still being sent pitches for clothes or games targeting that age group.

Even worse, because you're on some type of "mommy" list, you wind up on other types of "mommy" lists. So I get pitches for diapers, strollers, and other products that I haven't needed or written about in ages.

In fact, I think it's been at least 4 years since I asked Rashida Ferguson to please remove me from her mailing list because I don't care about infant car seats, or any kind of booster seat for that matter (unless they now make one for petite adults) and I will not devote editorial space on any of my blogs to them (except for the petite adult model). Rashida is top of mind only because I noticed something in my inbox the other day from a Rashida New Name, and I was like, "Oh, she got married!"

But this is not about Rashida and the laziness or refusal to remove a recipient. It's about another kind of PR sin related to recipients--the full cc. 

The fullest cc ever. 

I didn't notice at first, because when I get a pitch with a horrible subject line, say, one about a pregnant teacher's great new idea that's now on Kickstarter, it goes Right. In. The. Trash. I didn't give the note a second thought until a "reply all" message with that subject line popped into my inbox.

My curiosity piqued, I opened it. The PR flack who sent the first note apparently cc'd a few people on the message. 

No, not a few. A few hundred

The PR person copied more than 450 people in single email!

After that first person replied all to chide the PR person for the mass cc things got awesome. People started "replying all" with smartass comments, funny GIFs, with a few cat facts thrown in for good measure. Apparently once you apply to this cat facts service, it's hard to get off the list.

Those notes were followed up by emails from people from around the world inviting others on the cc list to get together for coffee. How nice to think that I can head to Spain, India or Dubai and have a new friend who will join me for a cuppa Joe.

We've even got our own Facebook group now. Two, actually, but only because lines crossed. I think we're going back to one. It's actually an interesting international mix of traditional tech journalists and bloggers. People are introducing themselves more formally, invitations to meet up continue to be shared. It's a beautiful thing. We're hoping that two people on the list will meet and get married.

I'm generally up for a bit of serendipity. Plus, I now have the email addresses for some editors at several top tech and lifestyle sites.

But as for that Kickstarter campaign? Nobody is actually talking about that.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I do love this story. :) Cracks me up.