Thursday, May 05, 2016

Chicago Culture Update

I'm reading: Chicago Culture UpdateTweet this!

Now that my older son has finally chosen a school {choir of angels sings}, I can get back to my life. His decision, or indecision, really, had occupied a pretty large chunk of my mental space. Most people who asked me about future get-togethers were told to wait until May 1 for my response.

Now it's May 5 and I'm ready to roll. Here are a few events on my horizon. Note that I often receive media passes from the organizations below.

The Lyric Presents The King and I

The Kind and I is playing at the Lyric Opera House now through May 22. As you'll see below it looks like a grand feast for the eyes. I'm pleased to offer readers a discount on weekday performances from now through the end of its run.

“Whistle a Happy Tune” with HALF OFF tickets to Lyric Opera’s critically acclaimed production of The King and I! Use code “SIAMBLOG” for 50% off Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday performances. Offer is subject to availability and not valid on previously purchased tickets or in combination with any other offer. Please see for full offer details. Code expires 5/19/2016. For more information on The King and I visit

The Joffrey Ballet Presents Cinderella

The Joffrey Ballet concludes it's 60th season with Sir Frederick Ashton's Cinderella accompanied by live music from the Chicago Philharmonic. Performances will be held at the Auditorium Theatre May 11-22 with select Saturday and Sunday matinees.

Chicago Sinfonietta Present Chromatic

Last year DH and I had our first exposure to The Chicago Sinfonietta. It's not your typical symphony experience. They push artistic boundaries by doing unexpected things and taking risks, like bringing tap dancers and flamenco dancers to perform alongside the musicians. Their talented musicians make lovely music, and the atmosphere is still formal, but a less stuffy than one might find at a typical performance. They also play out their commitment to diversity and inclusion, as well as racial and cultural equity in the arts.

You'll get a feel for what I'm taking about when you see the line-up for their 2016-17 season, Chromatic. Concertgoers can look forward to a unique Día de los Muertos concert featuring silent films provided by Chicago Film Archives, and the Sinfonietta will hold a first-ever program dedicated to LGBTQ composers and musicians as part of their new series.

Look for Chicago Sinfonietta at Ravina on Thursday, June 16 at 8 PM where they will perform in conjunction with a dance troupe, the Highland Park High School Marching Band and the Waubonsie Valley High School Mosaic Choir.

They will play at Cantigny Park on Thursday, August 4 at 7:30 PM.

See full details of their upcoming season here.

No comments: