Sunday, May 08, 2016

Mother's Day 2016

I'm reading: Mother's Day 2016Tweet this!

We hosted a Mother's Day brunch with my parents, in-laws, and 4/5 of my SIL's family today. We're horrible about taking pictures at such events. I wish we had snapped a few shots of our group. I gave the grandmas photos, but that's not the same.

I don't take it for granted how fortunate I am to have a wonderful mom and a great mother-in-law, to boot. It's nice that we can get both families together without any drama.

DH did most of the heavy lifting and one of my boys was especially helpful, so I just assisted with some of the food prep, which was nice. My Big Gift, was to head off to a coffee shop in the afternoon to develop a project I'm working on. I wasn't going to do client work or blog posts. I planned to make progress on a side project that's trying to develop.

I arrived at my preferred coffee shop at around 3:45. I saw that they'd only be open until 5:00, but figured that would get me to put my nose to the grindstone and work toward my goal without haste. After I walked in the door the barista told me they were closing early and would only be open another 15 minutes.

Sigh. I can't work that fast.

So I shuffled back to my car and headed to the more reliable neighborhood Starbucks. There was a long line (it's the Frappucino Happy Hour time of year), so I sat down with my computer, figuring I'd order after settling in. Only my computer started acting all wonky and I couldn't pick up the wifi. And all my work was in Google Docs.

This reminded me of the time a few weeks ago when I headed out for a quick dinner with Hubs and then planned to get myself a new pair of hiking shoes. I don't do hardcore hiking, but durable shoes with ankle support can come in handy when Tesla and I walk in the woods on the bridle trail instead of the paved bike path. At any rate, my current pair is three years old. They were purchased for our dream trip to Utah's National Parks back in 2013. (Thank you Google for making my memory look better than it is.) That dream trip was marred by the fact it happened to time out perfectly with Ted Cruz's government shut-down.

Anyhoodle, the Universe laughed at my plans to buy expensive shoes for myself so that I could walk my dog though mud and horse sh*t. (Yeah, this is the kind of shoe I "indulge" in.) Just as we'd finished dinner, we got a call that my younger teen might have broken his arm and my plans flew out the window.

(BTW, he indeed broke his wrist. He tripped over a tennis net. A surprisingly common cause for broken bones, the orthopaed assured me.)

So in two recent instances the Universe kind of sh*t on me and my selfish pursuits. I packed up my computer and headed back to my car only to find a fresh splotch of bird poop on my car. So there you have it.

I headed home and restarted the computer on our attached porch. It worked fine and didn't have any problems accessing our home network. I'm not sure what they deal was at Starbucks.

Because I hadn't entered the house proper, the dog was the only one who realized I was home. The dog asked to be let out on the porch (he's got a set of bells he rings to make his request). The porch has a doggie door that gives Tesla free access to the yard. But instead of going outside, he greeted me. He got up on his hind legs to give me Mother's Day kisses. He's usually not much of a licker.

His actions gave me an atypical look at the inner part of his front leg. His coat is dotted with black spots. But one of them looked odd. Maybe it stuck out like a sore or the color was off. Something about it caught my eye.

When I got a close look, I realized it was a tick. Tesla has never had a tick. We dutifully dispense a monthly dose of flea and tick medication (now in edible form after this happened). We walk in the woods often, but he's never attracted more than a couple of burrs.

A photo posted by Kim Moldofsky (@kimmoldofsky) on

After quickly calling all members of my family to report for duty, we assembled a rescue team. Younger son dispensed treats while Hubs held Tesla still and I used tweezers to pull that sucker off (while the older son was upstairs playing a computer game with headphones on).

The tick came right off. I'm not even sure if it had bitten Tesla. It was still alive and wriggling after we placed it in a plastic bag. (Is this normal?) It did not appear engorged. I'll call the vet this week to see if he wants me to bring it in.

In hindsight, my coffeehouse frustrations served a greater good. Who knows when we would have noticed the tick otherwise? But, gah, I feel like our wonderful walks in the woods just got a little less fun.

I hope you had a nice Mother's Day!

(Don't do a Google image search for "dog with ticks in ear." It's horrifying and you can't unsee it. We stumbled on this a year or two ago and it still haunts me. This seemed like a good time to warn you.)

(Let me know if you search it.)

No comments: