Friday, May 20, 2016

This Made Me Sad

I'm reading: This Made Me SadTweet this!


You know what cool businesses have in their restrooms? Tampons. Free tampons. And maybe pads, too.

I had a discussion on this very topic yesterday. I mentioned that at Cards Against Humanity HQ (yes, that Cards Against Humanity), they have a boxes of tampons in their gender-neutral bathrooms.

In fact, on a recent visit to CAH, before I left my meeting, I told my hosts I wanted to pop into one of the bathrooms to take a picture of the tampons. Because, you know, I'm cool like that. And so are they.

{Wait, I hear a certain teen's voice echoing in my head, "Mom, you're not using the term cool properly." I heard him say something similar a few months ago when we were hanging with the cousins and I suggested we all "Netflix and chill."}

Anyway, upon closer inspection there appear to be other feminine hygiene supplies instead of, or maybe in addition to, tampons. Either way it's a win for women.

Although let's be clear, it's a win in the same way that one might walk into any restroom and be like, "Yeah! This one has free toilet paper!"

If feminine hygiene supplies are unused there's no need to be squeamish about them, guys. And by guys, I do mean men. Boys, too. Male humans.

So anyway, related to my conversation yesterday, I was trying to find a personal essay I'd read on the topic. In my attempt find it, I'd guessed at a few keyword combos to Google. You know how Google serves up related keyword searches? Well, look at the list of related searches that came up when I Googled "Essay about not hiding tampons."

Eight alternate suggestions that are all about hiding tampons. Like it was opposite day for Google's* algorithms.

Sigh.

This made me sad. Not that I've ever whipped a tampon out of my purse and showed it off to everyone around me before heading to the restroom. But the fact that these are apparently oft-searched terms was a reminder of how shameful our society makes a natural, recurring biological act that affects roughly half of the human population.

And so I leave you with this decades-old essay from Gloria Steinem, If Men Could Menstruate.

*Despite what their algorithm might indicate, Google's Chicago office does provide free tampons in the women's restrooms.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

Oh, the memories. In college, a friend pulled a tampon out of a box and then, before heading off to the bathroom, she mimed waving a cigar around and announced, "That's the funniest thing I've ever heard."

Her roommate was mortified.